Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: I folded quads last night

[ QUOTE ]
So your friend was the button in seat 10; this makes you the CO in seat 9, and Seat 1 is the sb. Dealer claims that seat 1 "was betting the whole time"; this would mean that seat 8 was putting chips in the pot before it was your turn to act. So were you raising the entire time? You claim you were "just betting". Yet on the river, you claim seat 8 didn't want to "call your raise". You also never saw the dealer look at or motion to the 1 seat to act? You never saw his chips go in the pot? You never heard him say "bet"? You never heard the 8 seat say "call" as he put his chips in?

The fact that your story is inconsistent means one of two things: Either you didn't pay close enough attention to what was happening in the hand; or you're misremembering or skewing some of the details (which means we shouldn't take this whole description of the action as completely accurate).

Either way, I think this whole situation is avoided if you pay better attention.

It's not the dealer's job to make sure you know how many players are in the pot. That's your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was betting (i.e., not raising as there would have been no bet to raise) the whole way. I just thought I was HU with seat 8 and he was beating me into the pot/getting chips into the pot as soon as I do. I'm used to people doing that at the Oaks. I don't think the other players made any verbal declarations.

If I had seen the dealer motion to seat 1 to act, don't you think I would have realized that someone was in seat 1?

You caught me, I said raise when I should have said bet regarding my river action. I meant bet. The account should otherwise be accurate.

Should it not be the dealer's responsibility to make the game proceed in a straightforward manner? I admit my responsibility here. The dealer wouldn't even say that he would make seat 1 put his cards where I could see them in future hands, which was all I asked him to do. It wouldn't have mattered because there was no way in hell that I will make this mistake again. I prefer to err on the safe side, however.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: I folded quads last night

[ QUOTE ]

I have wondered about dealers declaring the number of players in a hand.
Should this be expected or is this just a courtesy done by some dealers?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer should announce the number of players remaining in the hand. It's proper procedure. There's no reason not to announce it since the dealer should be paying attention to the number for calculating bets for rake anyway.

Regards,

T