Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Is this racism?

[ QUOTE ]
My ancestors did own slaves. What the hell does that have to do with me? I'm pretty sure most slaves' ancestors owned slaves too.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? was this meant for someone else?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"ancestors must have pwned slaves."

[/ QUOTE ]

my ancestors [b]beat slaves to death and raped their wives

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they beat the slaves to death? That's a -EV play.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM

What race are the radio hosts? That matters. It's certainly insensitive, and whether or not it's "racist" seems like semantics to me. That's such a charged word. But I think it's inappropriate and probably unacceptable, and probably even "racist."

But of course, it's all freedom-and-equality-loving-libertarian to say how race wouldn't be an issue if "people didn't keep bringing it up." Which is nonsense.

And the argument that "black people can say things whites can't" is stupid too. Of course they can. As a culture, they have different experiences and different sensitivities than whites. Whites can say things that blacks can't as well, you know. They just don't often feel the need to, because whites happen to be the privileged race in this country.

If you're RaceA, it's really hard to understand what it's like to be part of RaceB.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:03 PM

I said there are about 4 black comedians that CAN BE funny without race.

All the others are not funny unless they are telling a racial joke. Those guys are like the Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, et al, of comedy...all bubble-gum.

Chris Rock at the top of his game!? lol. Right. We get it, J-Lo has a big ass.

Martin Lawrence not funny!? Rent "You So Crazy".
Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 PM

K' dude. We'll agree to disagree. Anyone who thinks Chris Rock is not funny or can't be funny without being racial, and at the same time thinks Martin Lawrence is funny is not going to find common ground with my idea of funny.

I'd say I think you're in the minority, but you'd probably think that's racist.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:35 PM

I never had a taste for that brand of black comedy which relies heavily on a race, and mostly on bashing white people. There are some people who can do it and still be very funny (Chris Rock), but most of it falls flat on it's face in my eyes.

In the ghetto, there's an attitude of disdain and often hatred toward white people that I never understood as I was growing up (I had to deal with a lot of [censored] for looking like a white kid). I never agreed with reverse racism as a means of getting even, and since the few white people that I did know seemed to be very intelligent and open minded people, I didn't think there was anything current to get even for. As I've grown up and integrated myself in predominantly white communities, I've learned that this kind of ignorance is still prevalent on the other side as well. I've encountered tons of people who just seem to have no respect for other cultures, either because they still hold onto the same ethnocentric roots as those they have such distaste for, or because they're part of this... new thing which is so dominant among middle class white kids that I don't really know how to explain yet.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My ancestors did own slaves. What the hell does that have to do with me? I'm pretty sure most slaves' ancestors owned slaves too.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? was this meant for someone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. There were a bunch of these slave owner posts and I didn't feel like picking which one to respond to because they're all pretty stupid.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:44 PM

If SPORTS radio hosts have to resort to this, they are obviously hacks, who can't come up with enough banter amongst themselves, or scare up enough good guests to get the ratings.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"ancestors must have pwned slaves."

[/ QUOTE ]

my ancestors beat slaves to death and raped their wives

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

but your version doesn't work without mine coming first.