Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Checking it down to eliminate a player. When is it right?

At what point will you check it down when 1 player is all-in to increase the odds of eliminating that player?

Assuming a dry side pot.

My personal opinion is until it gots down to the final 3-4 people... it is more about accumulating chips than eliminating players. Now when it gets down to the point where every person going out is making me more money as it pushes me up the prize ladder... checking it down makes more sense.

comments? Opinions?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Checking it down to eliminate a player. When is it right?

lol i played in a live tourney at a home game the other day and when its down to 4 a guy says to me "ok man lets just check this down, you know how it works".
Old 09-08-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol i played in a live tourney at a home game the other day and when its down to 4 a guy says to me "ok man lets just check this down, you know how it works".

[/ QUOTE ]

What a moran. You're not supposed to say things like that out loud.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's when I bet.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:30 PM

I think that this is often a mistake.
I get criticized a lot for betting in these situations in my home game when we're not close to the bubble and the all-in guy is so short he's not a big threat even if he triples up.
I think bluffing at it is kinda weird but not betting decent hands because someone is all in is pretty ridiculous in all but a few cases.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 AM

My thoughts as well... I also had a very vunerable hand 5 handed and the guy was all-in for the BB. I probably should have raised pre-flop and narrowed the field, but instead I let hands like 7/10 and 7/9 get in. Both of which flopped middle pair vs my pocket 5's and one of them got pissed when she folded her 7/9 and would have rivered 2 pair to win the pot.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM

But if betting into a dry sidepot has no possibility of accumulating chips for you (i.e. when you have no hand and no draw) then it's almost always wrong regardless of the stage of the tournament.

So you bet when you think you have the best hand (could just be second pair) and want to protect your hand. It's most important at the bubble, or a big pay increase, but bluffing into a dry sidepot is always dumb because it can not possibly win you anything.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if betting into a dry sidepot has no possibility of accumulating chips for you (i.e. when you have no hand and no draw) then it's almost always wrong regardless of the stage of the tournament.

So you bet when you think you have the best hand (could just be second pair) and want to protect your hand. It's most important at the bubble, or a big pay increase, but bluffing into a dry sidepot is always dumb because it can not possibly win you anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key. Equity is gained in these situation by knocking out the player and gathering his chips. Ideally you want both but when in doubt you should take the knocking out option and check it down. In reality its very situational as to when its good and bad - just use your judgement and think the situation through and you cant go far wrong.

Phill