Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Milo\'s Weight Loss Prop Bet: One Month Update...

[ QUOTE ]
Prop Bet

So I've been limiting myself to under 2000 cal a day, with a target (reached almost every day) of 1800 cal. This is really secondary to the more important goal of daily vigorous exercise (with one recovery day per week). I started this at 232 pounds, and had not exercised in any meaningful way in 5 years or so. The last time I was "fit" was in college, some 20 years ago.

I started with 10 minutes on the elliptical machine, and nearly died. I went to the pool and tried swimming laps, but quickly found myself unable to freestyle even the length of the pool. Struggling along with the breaststroke, I made it a half dozen laps or so.

Today, I swam a half-mile (18 laps) and felt great. I swim a warmup lap, then 17 laps of freestyle down and breaststroke back. I can go 20 minutes fairly hard on an exercise bike or elliptical, which may seem weak to you youngsters, but is pretty amazing to this fat, forty year old dad.

In five weeks, my weight is down to 216, although I expect the progress to slow dramatically at this point. My new long-term goal (in addition to collecting on a $1400 bet is to run in a sprint triathlon (0.3m swim, 14m ride, 5K run) next summer. I will make it.

-Milo

[/ QUOTE ]

Great work. I just started a new diet/exercise plan a week ago. I lost 5 pounds of my 40 pound goal (!), but I only got to the gym twice because I got sick.

My problem isn't starting these things, it's maintaining them for a long period of time. Hopefully I'll do better this time.

-ptmusic
Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great work. I just started a new diet/exercise plan a week ago. I lost 5 pounds of my 40 pound goal (!), but I only got to the gym twice because I got sick.

My problem isn't starting these things, it's maintaining them for a long period of time. Hopefully I'll do better this time.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing weight is easy, just don't eat as much. Getting fit and healthy is hard, because you have to change your life. All diets work, but 90% of them fail in the long run, because people eventually go off the diet and get fat again. I have been advising patients on weight loss for years while remaining fat myself (just like Dr. Phil!), because I was not ready to commit to change.

Set goals. Include rewards and punishments. Get a buddy who will encourage you when you need encouragement, and humiliate you if you fail.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:56 PM

I don't know if you changed it, but your ink-blot avatar looks like it's flexing.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you changed it, but your ink-blot avatar looks like it's flexing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also getting slimmer.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Nice start! Keep up with the exercise and you'll make your goals and then some.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2005, 11:27 PM

Keep up the good work. The thought of swimming 17 laps makes me tired. Great to hear it's going well so far.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:34 PM

Great job so far, keep up the good work.

FYI, as I am typing this, I am eating M&M's out of a 1lb bag (my favorite snack when playing poker). However, earlier tonight I was on a field trip with a youth group that included one of those climbing walls. I was the only one (youth or adult) able to make it to the top of the hardest side of the wall. Go me!
Old 08-28-2005, 12:14 AM

Before I had to get stitches in my foot, I was up to running over 7mi/day about 5 times a week, and looking forward to a sprint triathalon. I couldn't do it because of the foot, and had to stand on the sidelines and cheer on my girlfriend.

I was jealous as hell, because it looked really fun. A quick tip or two: if they ask you to register by your swim time, don't sandbag it in order to start later in the order. For some reason, my gf did this and ended up getting stuck behind people dog paddling and doing the elementary backstroke. Also, if you think you're going to do this with any sort of regularity (and you'll probably get hooked), get a roadbike for sure. The gf just had a mountainbike, and ended up with one of the lowest bike times, even though her other times were middle of the pack.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:20 AM

gj dude.

fim
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I had to get stitches in my foot, I was up to running over 7mi/day about 5 times a week, and looking forward to a sprint triathalon. I couldn't do it because of the foot, and had to stand on the sidelines and cheer on my girlfriend.

I was jealous as hell, because it looked really fun. A quick tip or two: if they ask you to register by your swim time, don't sandbag it in order to start later in the order. For some reason, my gf did this and ended up getting stuck behind people dog paddling and doing the elementary backstroke. Also, if you think you're going to do this with any sort of regularity (and you'll probably get hooked), get a roadbike for sure. The gf just had a mountainbike, and ended up with one of the lowest bike times, even though her other times were middle of the pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in high school, when I was fit, I was never a distance guy. I have no aspirations of winning. Just finishing an event would be huge given where I started.