Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: which is the best line?
check/call 10 50.00%
bet/call 3 15.00%
bet/fold 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Poll: UTG Push

I am trying to make the transition from SnGs to MTTs, and thought this hypothetical situation might help me understand what to do a bit better.

Here's the situation:
Tournament in which the top 20 are paid.
There are 40 people left.
Blinds are 500/1000.
Average stack is 30,000.
You have 10,000 chips.
Your image is normal (you haven't been overly aggressive, and are not on tilt).

What hands will you push UTG at a full table?

(NOTE: You may prefer to limp or min-raise certain hands. Count those hands as a push if you would call an all-in raise from UTG+1 who has you covered. Don't count those hands as a push if you would fold to an all-in raise from UTG+1)
Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Poll: UTG Push

** shameless bump **
Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM

Are there antes?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 PM

you can figure this out for yourself. HOH2 outlines it pretty well. You basically evaluate everyones range behind you and how your hand does against each hand in their range. Combining everyone that acts behind you, you can find out if its profitable or not. Theres a decent amount of math so i recommend something like MS Excel.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 PM

At 10BB at those levels it's way too early to get desperate, so in the scenario you described I'm going all in only with top 8 hands.

Kirk
Old 08-24-2005, 07:31 PM

Your poll is flawed in the following way. I'd consider pushing AJ, but it's definatly a fold or a push for me at this stage. But I would consider limp/pushing AA (if I knew it would get raised behind me). There's a *huge* difference that you don't allow for and not differentiating the results in this way means the results are largely not meaningful.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your poll is flawed in the following way. I'd consider pushing AJ, but it's definatly a fold or a push for me at this stage. But I would consider limp/pushing AA (if I knew it would get raised behind me). There's a *huge* difference that you don't allow for and not differentiating the results in this way means the results are largely not meaningful.

[/ QUOTE ] Which is why I put the following statement: (NOTE: You may prefer to limp or min-raise certain hands. Count those hands as a push if you would call an all-in raise from UTG+1 who has you covered. Don't count those hands as a push if you would fold to an all-in raise from UTG+1)
Old 08-24-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Which is why I put the following statement: (NOTE: You may prefer to limp or min-raise certain hands. Count those hands as a push if you would call an all-in raise from UTG+1 who has you covered. Don't count those hands as a push if you would fold to an all-in raise from UTG+1)

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I was making is that under the right conditions, I might push 80% of those hands. This situation is *very* situation/table read dependent. You can't make a general rule about it.

Furthermore there are some situations where I would call a push depending on the action after me. For example, I might limp 22 there, and if it folds to the button who pushes I won't call. But if 3 peopel call a push giving me a chance to quad up, I would probably call.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 PM

You forgot to include the correct answer in your poll.Any two cards.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You forgot to include the correct answer in your poll.Any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh... no.