Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-23-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Flopped straight from SB...how do you proceed.

Seat 1: c44sh ( $40.95)
Seat 2: tesla3605 ( $32.30)
Seat 3: MissZola ( $49.35)
Seat 4: efc1111 ( $49.40)
Seat 5: pok3r_is_fun ( $56.93)
Seat 6: SirVincent ( $51.50)
Seat 7: slips28 ( $96.70)
Seat 8: DRSpears ( $48.75)
Seat 9: ATHF01 ( $47.80)
Seat 10: mrmowen ( $46.75)
slips28 posts small blind (0.25)
DRSpears posts big blind (0.50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to slips28 [ 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
ATHF01 folds.
mrmowen calls (0.50)
c44sh calls (0.50)
tesla3605 folds.
efc1111 calls (0.50)
SirVincent calls (0.50)
slips28 calls (0.25)
DRSpears checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

If u bet out and get a caller someone in late position is going to have good odds to call on a flush draw. If u check you risk giving a free card? Regardless of whether u check-raise or bet out, how do you play a non-diamond turn? diamond turn?

I'll post my actions after a few replies, i don't want to influence any posts by what i did.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Flopped straight from SB...how do you proceed.

i take the lead here and put out a pot sized bet,,, taking away proper drawing odds (so he/she is making a financial mistake). If reraised, I call and push any turn. If called, and I diamond hits, I check, with the possibility of raising depending on the skill level of the donkey and my chip/$ position. Thats just me.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 PM

bet pot
Old 08-23-2005, 12:39 PM

I would only try and CR this *if* I was exactly 100% sure someone would bet at it, then I would come in for a HUGE CR. This is only if there are a ton of people seeing the flop and the late position people are maniacs.

If I am even a little unsure I can check it and see someone bet, I Pot it, reraise anyone who might raise you (this will happen often with Mr. A5s or A2s, which is great for you) and then push any non-diamond turn.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only try and CR this *if* I was exactly 100% sure someone would bet at it, then I would come in for a HUGE CR. This is only if there are a ton of people seeing the flop and the late position people are maniacs.

If I am even a little unsure I can check it and see someone bet, I Pot it, reraise anyone who might raise you (this will happen often with Mr. A5s or A2s, which is great for you) and then push any non-diamond turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't check raise this unraised pot.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 PM

Never? Even if you're quite sure someone stabs?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:50 PM

You're out of position with the nuts in a 6 way unraised pot with an Axx 2-flush board. Play this as fast as possible. Pot the flop, hope to get raised by the person who limped with AK to trap, and reraise / push. If you just get called, push any non-diamond turn. (If you're lucky, after you stack off AK he'll launch into a tirade about how much you suck and how online poker is rigged.)

And by the way, if you bet the pot and get a caller, a flush draw behind the caller still doesn't have the right odds to hit their flush on the turn. They're about 4 to 1 to hit the flush on the turn, and they're getting only 3 to 1 with a caller ahead of him.

-cj
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Well, it really depends on the table image you have and other players (obviously). I almost never check because I don't want a check around and I'd rather check-raise the turn. This is one of the few hands I will often overbet with about 1.5 - 2x the pot (if I don't make a pot-sized-bet). To most people they see this as a weakness. Ax will almost certainly least call, thinking something is up. I've found if I overbet, I get raised frequently or called with 2nd pair (I play mostly at 25nl on PP). From here it really depends on what your opponent does. If I get raised I'll either call the raise, then check raise big any non flush completing turn. Or I won't care about disguising my hand and I'll make a large reraise being happy to take down the pot immediately. I do the large reraise more often if I get min raised (which is frequently a flush draw). A large raise on the flop is usually a made hand, so its much less dangerous to let them see turn and if you check to them on the turn they'll almost always bet (making for a great check raise to take down a large pot).

Also, people with flush draws in these lower levels like calling on the flop, pretty much no matter how big you bet. I think you really want to make them pay because if they hit and don't bet a huge amount you almost have to pay them off. Also, if you bet the pot and somebody else calls, the player with a flush draw after the 1st call DOES have odds. Implied odds that is, because it will be hard for you to throw away your hand, so 3 : 1 is plenty because if they hit their flush on turn they can expect to get at least another $1 out of you and probably more.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:56 PM

Overbet the flop, maybe $5. This is a great flop to get action on, so play your hand fast. With all of the limpers, someone could definitely have two pair, flush draw or set. Push any non-diamond turn and stack 55.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:57 PM

Overbet the flop, maybe $5 If anyone raises, push. This is a great flop to get action on, so play your hand fast. With all of the limpers, someone could definitely have two pair, flush draw or set. Push any non-diamond turn and stack 55.