Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Sure, it was a nice pot, but did I play it poorly?

Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___double raises___calls

5th Street - (10.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (16.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (19.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (21.25 BB)
Old 08-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Sure, it was a nice pot, but did I play it poorly?

Fold 4th. Certainly do not double raise there.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Fold 4th...when someone pairs the door and leads double into all those people, they very likely have trips. The pot isn't that big at this point. When you make the mistake of raising double, and then are reraised behind you, you are for sure boned.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2005, 07:03 PM

I dont really see what seat 3 is on that is too scary once you get to to 5th...straight draw maybe or high pocket pair? maybe he is rolled up which is the scariest possibility since you have redraws to his straight and high pair/2pair.

I would think about either betting or a check raise on 5th to represent the flush. Betting could get out seat 7 if the first guy raises.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:36 PM

The small bet by seat 7 had me worried, and I'm not sure why I double-raised (too many steroids, not enough brains?). Once re-raised by seat 3, I know I'm dead, but it seems like a bad move to fold for 1 BB with 9 BB in the pot.

On fifth, I'm hung. I figure its worth seeing sixth for 1 BB, but not 2 (or is it?). Betting into one player makes sense, but I'm not sure if betting into both does.

On sixth, I figure it's bet/call. My flush is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure I can fold to a raise here or on seventh.

Not surprisingly, seat 7 had hit a set of 3s on fourth.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like a bad move to fold for 1 BB with 9 BB in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a dangerous thought process when playing stud.

What happens on 5th? "it seems like a bad move to fold for 1 BB with 12/13 BB in the pot"

How about 6th?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems like a bad move to fold for 1 BB with 9 BB in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a dangerous thought process when playing stud.

What happens on 5th? "it seems like a bad move to fold for 1 BB with 12/13 BB in the pot"

How about 6th?

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta learn to think differently at stud (as I have at Omaha). I was amazed when I first read that I should fold my unimproved wired pair on fourth if someone pairs his door card. I'm trying to learn a wider variety of games, largely because I feel like learning to play Stud and Omaha well will improve my poker game overall.

I'm doing well at Party 3/6, but I suspect it has less to do with my skill level than that of my opponents.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:48 PM

Yeah, Milo, when I first met you, I was thinking, "steroids."

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think that with such a live hand, calling on fourth street is OK, especially if you lack respect for the guy with the open Treys. Paired door cards are a lot less scary when they are in the possession of people who play more than half of their hands. By raising, you're knocking people out with what is likely a drawing hand. This may not have the desired effect.

But hey, if the spades are coming, they're coming. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]