Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: I thought this hand was extremely easy...

You have a tiny, microscopic edge here. There will undoubtedly be much better spots later.

LDT
Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: and because sometimes you're way behind.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a Stars turbo, blinds go up every 5-8 hands or so at a fast table and 3-4 hands at a slow table. Just went and checked, they went up the next hand, I posted once and they went up again before that orbit finished.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a tiny, microscopic edge here. There will undoubtedly be much better spots later.

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

again, you can't really be that certain. villian has ~10bb so don't make assumptions.

edit: Lorinda said assume they are donkeys until proven otherwise. With that in mind this is still a terrible play.

Clearly this is going one of those threads where I'll post a stupid opinion and learn something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Personally, I don't like this at all. OK, SB/BB probably won't join in (but I've been unpleasantly surprised by KK when I've tried to issolate a short-stacked all-in like this), but worrying about the other two guys picking up a premium hand is probably stupid.

The issue, then, is that I just don't like the fact that you're risking half your chips when it's a race or a dominated up-hill battle. The only hand you're a solid favorite against is 22 or 23, both very unlikely. Sure he's short, but he's a real threat to your stack. And he's not under insane pressure yet (+10BBs). So you're going to see AJ+ KQ or a pair that dominates you most often. On his steal pushes, he still has two overcards. You haven't put many chips in and the blinds don't amount to much dead money (I don't see tantalizing odds). I just don't think it's worth it.

I don't like it either. The blinds are too low. I probably wouldn't even do it with 50/100 blinds. 33 just isn't good enough vs. a pusher's range to be risking half your stack, even if he's loose.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

But if I win this pot I'm in much better shape, and if I lose I'm still basically in as bad shape as I was before.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]But if I win this pot I'm in much better shape, and if I lose I'm still basically in as bad shape as I was before.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in fine shape with the blinds being so low. You'll be in much worse shape for having taken a shot here rather than avoiding this 'edge' which I despite calling it and will refuse to do so.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:59 PM

If blinds go up next hand as you say, you can fold and have 10 of them, or call with a less than 50/50 shot against his range to either have 15 or 5.

This is a case of the chips you lose being worth much more than the chips you win imo.

Phill
Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 PM

I'm wondering -- this is a turbo and blinds go up every 5-8 hands (durron's estimate). There was a previous thread I remember replying to where after thinking about it, it seems that the blinds increasing so rapidly may change what I would do. This is a general theory question: should you be more willing to take small edges the more quickly blinds rise? Or should you still only take into account immediate factors -- pot odds and stack sizes. I can see arguments for both. If anyone would like to provide an argument for one case or the other, I'd like to hear it. I'd prefer a logical "proof" as opposed to what you feel may be right based on intuition.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 PM

I don't think the blinds add enough dead money here. The fact that the blinds go up next hand makes me less inclined to push here, since they will be more worth stealing. Against AA-33, AKs-A2s, KQs-K9s, QJs-QTs, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, AKo-A2o, KQo-KTo, QJo-QTo, JTo, you are 46.5% to win here. It's +EV in terms of chips, but I think it is bad in terms of cashing equity.