Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 07-30-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Meaningful PT stats for NL/PL tournaments

New to using PT; playing mainly tournaments, and would like for users of PT to give me a rundown of what they consider to be the important stats to follow; both for opponents and monitoring my own play.

I am particularly interested in what stats should be used with something like PokerAce or PlayerView, loading real-time stats onto a cluttered piece of desktop real estate.

It would seem to me that in NL tournaments some info like "total aggression" is going to be a skewed number that won't mean much.

All thoughts appreciated.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Meaningful PT stats for NL/PL tournaments

I've had the same question and have determined that its pretty hard to get meaningful stats for tourneys. Reason being is you just don't see the same players enough. I'm new to Poker tracker myself so if I'm missing something please enlighten me.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Default PT Virtually Useless For SNG Analysis

PT tracks SNGs almost as an afterthought.
That whole area needs to be redone...
Or someone should code...
A sophisticated SNG analysis companion for PT.

Obviously one must analyze the data by level...
But by number of players left is probably more important.

You absolutely have to have separate HU matchup stats...
Because good ITM play is the last thing one masters...
On the SNG learning curve.

I've played 35 total lifetime in last month...
And 43% ITM...
But because my late play is poor...
My 1st/2nd/3rd is a disappointing 2/5/8...
Resulting in only 6.5% ROI.

But my ultra-tight/ultra-agressive early play is working...
Around 10-13% VP$IP...
My WSD% in 700 hands at a very satisfying 77.5%
And showing a solid profit in early rounds.

So I've mastered the art of sneaking into 3rd...
But must spend a lot of time on end play.

But sneaking into 3rd is suboptimal.
Playing to win is optimal...
Which require continous accumulation of chips from start to finish.

rm+

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: PT Virtually Useless For SNG Analysis

Hello,

I've been playing online poker for about a year but I'm pretty new to using PokerTracker for my SNGs on Stars. The last month I've really focused on playing single table SNGS one at a time as opposed to multi-tabling and my play has improved to 102.91% ROI and near 50% ITM for $5's. I since moved up to $10's and my perfomance has been downright disgusting, negative ROI and 10% ITM. I am wanting to go back through and look at my stats for the SNGS that I tanked as of late but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at besides some obvious bonehead plays and pushing some hands too far and too fast too early in the tournament.

You made mention that, "Obviously one must analyze the data by level...
But by number of players left is probably more important."

If I understand you correctly if my style of play is tight-aggressive in early levels that graduates to near maniac who knows when to apply the brakes, I should be looking at VP$IP for each level in relation to the number of players left? What do you think is a good number here?

I tend to do pretty well in headsup situations and/or ITM and bubble play IMHO. But you made mention, "You absolutely have to have separate HU matchup stats...
Because good ITM play is the last thing one masters...
On the SNG learning curve."

So I should look at filtered headsup matches and I should be looking at what numbers?

And lastly the mention of WSD%, if thats Percentage of Winning Tournament Chips at Showdown, mine is only about 50%. No where close to yours but what number should I striving for here?

Again I do apologize if these are somewhat newbie questions and if there is a faq or a link that might help in understanding my PokerTracker stats particularly for SNG play it would much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played 35 total lifetime in last month...
And 43% ITM...
But because my late play is poor...
My 1st/2nd/3rd is a disappointing 2/5/8...
Resulting in only 6.5% ROI.
I've mastered the art of sneaking into 3rd...
But must spend a lot of time on end play.

[/ QUOTE ]

After 35 lifetime SnG you can tell approximately nothing about your finish distribution or ROI. You need thousands under your belt to say anything meaningful about ROI. You definitely DON'T need continual accumulation of chips throughout a SnG to have a good ROI, in fact it is much more important to make it to the bubble than take risks early to accumulate chips.

I do use the standard PokerAce stats a little bit in SnG's just for an overall view relative to other players at the table. (Loose PF? Tight? Aggressive?) But, unless the stats are by level or how many left it is just a general overall feel for if you don't haven't really seen any specific hands from that person (like if you're multitabling.)
Old 08-09-2005, 05:31 PM

When I play tournaments in the early rounds, I simply go into preferences and select to see only blind levels up to 50 for the big blind. Then when I get later, I exclude all the blind levels up to 50 for BB.