Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-15-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Avoiding getting stacked with top pair vs Set

This happens to me time and time again... I am rolling along, doing just fine good size stack in control of my cards... and then I hit top pair, good or top kicker vs a set.

My general play is to bet 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot with top pair, if I get reraised probably throw it away depending on reads, stack size, etc.

The problem I have is I run into someone slow-playing a flopped set. They either check/call or cold-call my raise. I don't know if I should put them on a draw, top pair weaker kicker, middle pair and a prayer or what? Most of the time it is exactly that... middle pair or top pair worse kicker.. but those times it is a set... I generally keep betting and end up losing all or most of my stack to the flopped set.

Anyone have any suggestions on how they deal with this? Just part of the game? Back off a little when they call on the flop? But then I give odds to drawing hands...
Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Avoiding getting stacked with top pair vs Set

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time it is exactly that... middle pair or top pair worse kicker..

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if MOST of the time it is a worse hand than yours, then just keep doing what your doing and going to the felt. The times you have the winner will defiently outweigh the times you are beat by a set.

just my opinion.

-cas
Old 07-15-2005, 12:47 PM

There's really no simple answer other than this: with experience you'll be more capable of sniffing out a set. You'll still run headlong into them from time to time, but only after thousands and thousands of hands will you be able to sniff them out. Sets are well concealed, which is why they're tough.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:23 PM

check behind on the turn more, almost always on boards where there is no obvious draw. obviously if you're OOP then its far harder