Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Part II

OK - since the consensus here seems to be just raise.

Let's say I raise to $5.5K and it folds to SB (~$45K) who...

1) Pushes all in - do you fold or call?

OR

2) SB Flat calls -
Flop (~$14K) comes 833r - SB checks - now what? A continuation bet? If so, how much and what is your plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Part II

[ QUOTE ]
OK - since the consensus here seems to just raise.

OR

2) SB Flat calls -
Flop (~$14K) comes 833r - SB checks - now what? A continuation bet? If so, how much and what is your plan for the rest of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop, I call the push and take my chances. The pot is too big to fold here.

On the flop, it is either take the free card or push. I probably push (I chose to raise small to try to double up, not to dump 20% of my 11xBB stack)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 PM

I would have raised to 7K to show I was committed to the hand.

I'm calling a push. I'm may be only slightly behind getting good pot odds.

I'm betting 1/2 the pot on the flop and moving in on the turn. If I'm ahead before the flop this was a good flop.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK - since the consensus here seems to just raise.

OR

2) SB Flat calls -

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop, I call the push and take my chances. The pot is too big to fold here.

On the flop, it is either take the free card or push. I probably push (I chose to raise small to try to double up, not to dump 20% of my 11xBB stack)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - so basically you are saying that you are going to the felt with this hand no matter what.

So your reasoning for just raising is to try and let weaker hands (ie KJ, AT, etc) in cheaply so you can hopefully double up. I think there is some validity to this argument.

But if you are going to the felt with these two cards anyway, why not just push pre-flop when your folding equity is highest? +T3000 is better than -T22000.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:12 PM

If hero is ahead, villain is drawing to 6 outs or so. You want his action. If hero has an 8 or a 3, that's the chance you took when you didn't pick up the pot with a push BTF.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:13 PM

1) If the SB re-raises all-in, I probably fold. What hands can you put him on that you beat? SB might put you on a blind steal, but it is probably too risky for him test his read by re-raising all-in. If he loses, he doubles you up, and is now a short stack. Do you think he would risk half of his stack with KQ or A10, especially with the BB yet to act?

2) If SB flat calls, you are probably ahead. I put him on something like KQ, A10 or a small pocket pair. Sure, he could be slow playing a monster, but if that is the case, pushing pre-flop wouldn’t have made a difference anyways. If it is checked to me, I go all-in. You can’t fool around here. He will probably know that you missed, but unless he has a monster, you should pick up the pot. That is, unless he is willing to gamble that his small pockets will hold up, or that you do not have a monster. Either way, my money is in the middle.

Checking is the worst option. Why show weakness and give him a chance to hit his hand. And If an Ace hits, you’re not folding your hand, and you won’t get paid off. The only with he calls is if he has a bigger ace. So might as well put him to the test on the flop.