Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Does the Rake effect your pot odds?

Just read this in the newbie section, and it got me thinking. I've never considered this. Assume that you have a flush draw with 1 card to come and you are getting 4 to 1 pot odds. When you take into account the %5 rake this is actually a -EV call. When you lose, you lose $1. 4 times equals $4. When you win you win $5 total, but .25 is raked so you profit 3.75 (not including your bet). Therefore the EV on this play is -.25

Is this even worth worrying about? Do ppl take this into account when they make a call? I dont think I could be bothered doing it since most calls arent that marginal.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Does the Rake effect your pot odds?

It's not quite negligible, but if the call is that marginal to where you need to consider the rake.. just fold/call based on the opponent (don't quote me on this). With the flush draw, just call. Don't forget implied odds as well
Old 04-13-2005, 11:32 PM

yes, rake definitely counts. especially in games where the rake is a BB or so. instead of getting 5:1 you would only be getting 4:1. this can be a huge difference.

however, as reef said, dont forget to count implied odds.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:21 AM

The rake only matters when you win the pot, so it is more important in situations in which you will win more frequently. The effect on value bets is greater than the effect on pot odds.

Ideally, last to act with no rake or threat of being raised, you can value bet with a 50% chance to be ahead when called. If 1/4 of a BB extra is taken out if you bet and are called, then you need to be ahead 4/7 ~ 57% of the time when called to value bet.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 AM

If your talking about online play, the rake is taken out of the pot as the pot builds up, so you dont have to adjust your odds.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you lose, you lose $1. 4 times equals $4. When you win you win $5 total, but .25 is raked so you profit 3.75 (not including your bet). Therefore the EV on this play is -.25

[/ QUOTE ]

the ev on the play is actually -.25/5 or -5 cents. that gives you and idea how important this concept is.
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but the rake can have a significant effect on what hands you play before the flop, especially when the pot is going to be short handed.