Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 04-15-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Ed Miller\'s post about \"Charging flush draws\"

thats something your parents should have discussed with you way back in the day. I will say this, you must learn to "protect", cause those crabs, they dont go away...

peace

john nickle
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM

There is a such thing as charging flush draws!

The time to charge flush draws is on the turn when they aren't making money off all the bets that are going into the pot like they are on the flop. With multiway action on the flop all the money that goes in profits flush draws. It is therefore true that you are not charging them anything as they are in fact profitting. This is not necessarily the case when the pot is HU or on the turn ie when the action is HU, 3-way or even 4-way. At this point flush draws would love to see the river cheaply or for free. They aren't folding due to the pot odds but they don't want to put any money in unless the action is 3-way or better on the flop or 5-way or better on the turn. When they don't profit charge 'em I say! Charge 'em!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:36 AM

its probably better just to not describe it as "charging" a person for a flush draw. on the turn and river you bet out for value, because you will have the best hand with a much lower chance of being redrawn. either way, you cant charge them enough to make them go away, so just worry about other players in your hand. thinking about charging them multiway will just cause newer players develop FPS..and against 3 or 4 villians you want to play ABC.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YOu could have just PM'ed me with this link rather then making it publicly known that I suck. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every poker player without exception has this preconception, as did I.

I raised and raised to 'push out flushes'. I didn't learn any better till EM came along and whipped me into line. Probably a good .25BB/100 in my false knowledge too.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, it took me a good couple mins to realize you weren't telling him every poker player has the preconception that pistol78 sucked.

Yes, I do agree that most players had the preconception that they 'need to charge flush draws.' I think this stems from most of us learned by playing No Limit first, or watching NL on TV. Charging flush draws does have its place there, but it is not a very useful concept for limit poker.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 PM

it seems like a semantic argument. you aren't "charging" the flush draw (unless you're heads up obviously) but you're still making money on each bet coming in if you've got best hand at that point. so don't check/call hands you should be betting/raising just because the flush draw is calling profitably.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point flush draws would love to see the river cheaply or for free. ...They don't want to put any money in unless the action is...5-way or better on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there any advantage for a flush draw to bet with 4 opponents on the turn if you think they'll all call? Say they all called one already. Perhaps disguise value? The odds of making are 4.22:1, pretty close to 4.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Or, you could've just referenced the page number on the microlimits post collection!!

It's page 62, in case you were wondering.