Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 01-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Helping friends get better

I set up my weekly game for the purpose of helping my friends (and I) to improve our poker. We play a $25 max buyin NLHE cash game. The money is not a lot to the players but bragging rights are. It's funny to see a 5/10 player upset at being outplayed in a $40 pot.

I think the 'poker school' concept is a great way to learn to play better. As your friends get better you will have to improve also.

Another important factor is it forces you to mix up your game. Playing with the same people all the time, especially NL, means you will have to think of newer and better plays to get the money. Having a smallish buyin means it doesn't hurt that much to push and see what happens.

Rob
Old 01-13-2005, 01:46 PM

I already have down the unsolicited advice from playing golf. I'm a good if not great golfer (single digit handicap) and nothing is more annoying than the swing coach giving you a tip when you didn't ask for it. Particularly when the swing coach just triple bogeyed the previous hole.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 'poker school' concept is a great way to learn to play better. As your friends get better you will have to improve also.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the saying goes, you can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin him once. I did one of those poker schools, too, intended for beginners. Extra cheap chips, and everyone showed after the river for a discussion. It was only a mediocre success, though. Some of the really bad players refused to show up, insulted that I'd invite them to such a thing, and the better players were upset that I didn't invite them over for the "easy money". The weak players who did come learned a lot about how to play (6-handed, anyway), and they're better players for it. I merely won enough to cover the beer I drank that night.

I'd do it again if I could find enough beginners who were willing to get together on the same night, but I think a lot of them are afraid of our game now.