Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Canterbury $15-$30: The worst, most ugly beat I have ever given

Background:

I am in a very good must-move $15-$30 game at Canterbury. I have been playing for 2 hours, have played and raised 4 hands pre-flop with at most 3 callers, bet the flop, and every one folded. In essence, I have been getting the ultimate amount of respect ... in fact, perhaps, too much respect. I thinks to myself that it is time to test this respect. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Decision:

I decide that I am going to find a hand of dubious value, and push it to the limit just to see what would happen. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Worst case, I figure I will get some good advertising out of it.

The Play:

A couple of orbits later, I find the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG. I raise. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Everyone folds around to the blinds. A little info here. The SB is a fairly good player, who tends to lay too many hands down. The BB is a very good, tight player. Both blinds call. The flop comes:

K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The SB checks, the BB bets, and I raise (because, you know, I have to continue to represent a hand ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). The SB 3-bets, the BB thinks and chooses to fold. I call. The turn comes:

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The SB bets, and I raise again (after all, if I didn't have a King, I must have Aces --- [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). The SB calls.

The river comes:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Whooo-whooo. Bad Beat coming. The SB checks, I bet, the SB raises, I 3-bet, and the SB calls. I then ask for a hat (that is what Canterbury provides), stating I have a straight flush.

Needless to say, pandemonium reigned. The SB tables K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], asking how I could possible call his raise. I just keep my head down, rake in the chips, and think -- goal accomplished -- much advertising.

Meanwhile, after ranting and raving, the SB is smoking mad. After the must move, main game, and $30-$60 game discuss the hand for a while (all tables are next to each other), someone at the must move finally says to the SB blind, "It's your own fault, how could you call the under the gun raise - especially who its from - with K9 off suit. If the SB was mad before, I thought he was going to sputter his drink all over the table. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Canterbury $15-$30: The worst, most ugly beat I have ever given

NI HAN!

seriously
Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 AM

The last part was funny...it just goes to show your read was bad cause he's an aweful player to be calling K9o there.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:52 AM

How often do you make these "dubious" raises? It seems pointless to me. If you've been folding for hours and then all of a sudden you raise out of the blue with 42s UTG then I think they're gonna know what you're up too.

I was in a tight game (3 to flop on avg.) a few weeks ago and I was just folding my rags for about an hour when I suddenly get dealt KK in UTG+1 and the next hand I get AA UTG. I raised both times and one of the players at the other end of the table said "What are ya doing? Trying to change your image?" And then the whole table laughed.

If they're aware enough to notice your 42s raise then they're aware enough to realize you've been playing tight (only 4 raises) for the last two hours.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The last part was funny...it just goes to show your read was bad cause he's an aweful player to be calling K9o there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention going nutzo with it on a AKK board after an UTG raise.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:00 AM

yes they will notice he has been playing tight. So he tried to steal one. That was the point.