Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Results

First, I appreciate everyone's input. Many of you articulated some of the thoughts that went through my mind as I determined what to do.

Obviously, I had to make a decision fairly quickly. Given my past experience with UTG, I was fairly sure that he had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Ax, especially when he checked the turn.

If my read is correct simply for him, I felt that I couldn't possibly give a free card here, so I bet out.

The cutoff raised, and once again, the button called 2-bets cold (making it 9 bets total that he has called cold [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]). Now, surprisingly, UTG folded !!!

This fold, in my opinion, completely changed the nature of this hand. Since this pot is huge, if UTG did have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I figured it was a must call for him. When he folded, I figured that one of my other two opponents have a nut flush. I went ahead and called the raise, obviously hoping for the board to pair.

The river was the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (the ultimate blank). I checked, the cutoff checked, and the button checked !!!

I tabled my set of Kings, the cutoff showed AQo, and the button tabled A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the nut flush, and in my opinion, quite a few missed bets !!!

Obviously, this was the first hand, and I handn't played with most of these players before, but I do have one question to ask.

In a "normal" 30-60 game, I will not call 3-bets with AQo, let alone 4-bet the hand. Now, I realize that this situation "depends" on your read of the players, and how they have played, but how many of you call or 4-bet with AQo in this position?

I can guarantee you that I won't call 4-bets with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: 30-60 KK

hi kk

just check-call. the odds favor needing to improve, in addition to a bet coming from behind. if there is a draw out, you want him to pay 1 bet, not 3 bets necessarily. slow down in these type spots.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:00 PM

I decide on the turn that my hand is basically a draw to a fullhouse and has very little chance to win unimproved. Thus I check the turn and hope a minimum number of bets go in but plan to call any number. If you make your boat obviously go nuts on the end. If you miss your boat be inclined to call on the end but willing to fold if the turn action has convinced you that you're definetly against a flush and/or AQ.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Results

AQo is a clear fold to most UTG raises and nearly all 3bets of UTG raises. You know this. Don't worry about this hand and don't start playing AQo for tons of money preflop.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:06 PM

Button checks the nuts behind everyone on the river??????
Old 09-17-2004, 06:54 PM

Good game I guess, lol.

Ponks
Old 09-17-2004, 07:41 PM

Check and call unless you improve.

You want to slow down on the turn for several reasons:

- it is so likely that you are behind
- the flop action indicates your draw may be quite weak
- it is so unlikely you will fold a hand that would have outdrawn you by betting, saving yourself the pot, since you will almost certainly only be raised by a made flush now
- a slower turn may keep some people around making contributions to the pot that are drawing dead against you.
- a slower turn may allow you check-raise and get more money in on the river should you get lucky and make your fullhouse

The only reason to bet is to hope to fold a hand like a pair + gutshot and save yourself the pot on the river. This is a compelling thought in a pot this big, and makes betting worth considering, but I lean toward checking.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 09-17-2004, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given my past experience with UTG, I was fairly sure that he had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Ax, especially when he checked the turn.

If my read is correct simply for him, I felt that I couldn't possibly give a free card here, so I bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a strong reason to bet (although betting may be best for other reasons). Charging draws that won't fold anyways, while an important concept in general, becomes a far secondary consideration in big pots like this. You need to focus on the important questions, which are a) how likely are you to be behind, and b) how likely are you to fold a hand that might draw out on you.

my 2 cents.
Eric