Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Ill-advised c/r river bluff? (they usually are)

I'm sure most of us will sometimes make a check/raise like this against a player who we KNOW is capable of folding. Say you got A3 in the BB and on the river the board is, AQT-6-T and you put your opponent on an ace. I think this is sometimes a good spot to check/raise the river. You know you're chopping and there's little concern of being re-raised. He just might fold his half of the pot. Of course, this is nothing I do too often.

The following hand I thought was similar, but I think I might have really botched it.

Party 30-60

There was a raise from early middle. A poster called as did the button and sb. I called from the BB with AQo.

The flop came KK6r. sb mucks out of turn, I check, and it gets checked around.

The turn pairs the 6 putting up a backdoor flush draw. I bet.

I can't decide if I like this bet or not. On the one hand, I thought the pot might be worth contesting and I wouldn't have felt entirely comfortable folding if I let the pf raiser bet it and now everyone folded to me. Then again, one problem is that I'm playing for only a chop against another ace. The other problem was I didn't have any hands on this guy. I thought he was a little loose, but his showdowns were all reasonable so far and I wasn't sure what he could have that wasn't a king or pocket pair. What do you guys think?

Anyway, only the pf raiser called. Oh,oh... Quads?! Pocket pair? Or flush draw? The river was a 4 completing the backdoor flush. I checked, he bet, I check/raised, he folded.

I'm thinking this had to have been poorly played by me and I just got lucky he must've played worse. I wouldn't normally make this play against an unkown. Then again, is it sometimes better to make this play against an unkown because people who know you will know you'll make this play?