Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 PM

Default when to raise a draw on the turn?

I've noticed that at higher limits players often raise their good draws on the turn (in position) instead of the flop. I understand why you would do it on the flop (value/equity, free card). But why would you do it on the turn? Only because of the folding equity? What are good conditions to make this move? I am used to playing micros where your folding equity is usually pretty small and you should bet/raise for value. Thoughts? Examples?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: when to raise a draw on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that at higher limits players often raise their good draws on the turn (in position) instead of the flop. I understand why you would do it on the flop (value/equity, free card). But why would you do it on the turn? Only because of the folding equity? What are good conditions to make this move? I am used to playing micros where your folding equity is usually pretty small and you should bet/raise for value. Thoughts? Examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think at 2-4 and below, this play should hardly ever be used, mainly, most ppl that bet the turn are usually going to see the river, if HU.

Now, if you have a read that a player might fold to said turn raise, then that's different. I've seen this done to me more often at 5-10 now that I'm there. It still doesn't work all the time though, because I usually jsut get to SD with my decent hands, esp against someone I know can raise a draw there.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: when to raise a draw on the turn?

I like to do this on scary boards HU. Like a pair of Js on the board. Especially against a PFR who might be betting with just AK(high). But I don't like to do it without a decent draw.

If it's a multiway pot and I have a really good draw I'll raise if I'm in a position to trap the field.