Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Don\'t you hate this?

i see this a lot and it really pisses me off...what is the point in burning a card if you burn the cards for each street in advance and leave the board cards face down waiting to be exposed??? why go through the charade? it defeats the whole purpose of the burn card. yet, these people INSIST that it was a misdeal if the dealer forgot to burn one because it could interfere with how destiny had planned the hand to pan out.
maybe i should be glad to play with people like this, but their constant string betting, acting out of turn, betting 40 when the blinds are 100/200 get annoying...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Don\'t you hate this?

[ QUOTE ]
i see this a lot and it really pisses me off...what is the point in burning a card if you burn the cards for each street in advance and leave the board cards face down waiting to be exposed??? why go through the charade? it defeats the whole purpose of the burn card. yet, these people INSIST that it was a misdeal if the dealer forgot to burn one because it could interfere with how destiny had planned the hand to pan out.
maybe i should be glad to play with people like this, but their constant string betting, acting out of turn, betting 40 when the blinds are 100/200 get annoying...

[/ QUOTE ]

Adapt or die
Old 11-21-2005, 06:50 PM

If you can't win then join them. Do your own string betting and off bet amounts and of course do these when its good for you. Before I go on, you could suggest changes, if your turned down, then do what you have to do.

In regards to burning the card in advance, explain the reasoning behind it and/or tape a dealer on tv to show your friends the right way.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't win then join them. Do your own string betting and off bet amounts and of course do these when its good for you. Before I go on, you could suggest changes, if your turned down, then do what you have to do.

In regards to burning the card in advance, explain the reasoning behind it and/or tape a dealer on tv to show your friends the right way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot. Cheating is not the same as not knowing how to play.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Just make a rule about burning cards only after the action is complete. It should be fine for everyone to accept if the understand the general purpose of having a burn card.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM

You could also use a marked deck to demonstrate the purpose of burning cards. If they're stupid enough to keep playing the way they do after that, then you may as well put the marked deck into play, because they'll literally have nobody to blame but themselves.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 PM

We do this all the time, usually when the dealer has to take a piss or something. I mean, we're all friends - I can't speak for your game, but we are all quite confident after 3+ years of playing together that nobody's gonna cheat. We really only burn in my home game as a matter of habit.

Then again, we also allow pot splashing, knocking over others' chips stacks, and even hiding someone's large denom chip while they're away, then not telling them for 3 hands. So maybe my game isn't the perfect example here.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot. Cheating is not the same as not knowing how to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a life and try reading before shooting off your mouth. All I said was if you can't get them to play properly, then play like them. It isn't cheating.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:12 PM

...so when do I get my "official" invite to your game Ray?

-ZEN
Old 11-22-2005, 06:15 PM

So purposely string betting and betting off amounts when it is good for you even though you know it is not in the rules is not cheating?

I guess we will just have to disagree.