Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:48 PM

Default My change in thinking from irieguy and gigabets post

After reading this post from Gigabet several times, Ive had a while to internalise the parts of it that I can,

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...403&Forum=

and my thinking is slowly changing. The phrase 'bad beat' is being eliminated from my self talk, being replaced by 'expected variance'. Its harder to get upset at something you expect to happen...and Im much calmer and a better player for it. This post has made my life a little better than it was before. Now I just plod along and play my target number of hands per day, less concerned with results than before, trying to learn a little as I go. As Irieguy said, the universe will unfold as it should. I would add....any emotional energy spent as a result of this unfolding is wasted. I wanted to thank them both, and I am also curious about the changes others are experiencing since reading these posts.

Bingo
Old 08-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: My change in thinking from irieguy and gigabets post

That post has probably been the most influential post I've ever read on 2+2, and perhaps the most important thing I've read about poker.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 PM

The only thing that gets me to about bad beats, now, is the time invested. I just hate playing for 35-40 minutes and have all of that discipline spoiled by AA vs. 66 or AK vs AT. I then hate having to start all over again without the promise that it won't happen to me again in another 35-40 minutes.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 AM

u need to take the short term out of your thinking. I have a spread sheet that has all my daily results going back 2 years. That tells me that on average I can expect to make about $70/hour. So, anytime i need to plan finacially I use $50/hour, 35 hour/week. It doesnt matter that I've averaged $926/hour this week, couse it's not real. The real number is the long term average. I also track my $$/hour for this year. If that number stays higher than my 2 year average I like to think Ive gotten better, and at some point I can give myself a raise and figure $60/hour when planning.

If you make hours per week goals and ignore the $$ as much as possible it will help your additude alot during the typical so so or bad times we have constantly

Steve
Old 08-06-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That post has probably been the most influential post I've ever read on 2+2, and perhaps the most important thing I've read about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I keep a copy of it lying around, and re-read it whenever I catch myself drifting into negativity.