Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Severly overplayed flopped flush?

Live 10/20 game that is extremely loose at the moment. There are typically 6-9 players to each flop for 1-2 bets each time.

I am in the big blind with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 7 limpers, small blind completes and I check. So 9 players see for the flop for a pot of 9 small bets.

Flop is 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Checked around to MP who bets it, 2 callers in LP, SB calls, I raise, EP cold calls, everyone else who has a bet in calls, but this time around SB 3 bets, everyone calls except for one of the LP players.

So 5 players see the turn with a pot size of 13 big bets.

Turn is a brick, I don't remember the exact card, but I'm going to say it was the 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
SB bets out, I raise, EP player cold calls, the original flop bettor in MP cold calls, SB calls.

There are now 4 players staying to see the river in a pot that is 21 big bets.

River is a 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Sb checks, for some reason I bet, and all 3 other players call.

Originally my plan was to raise the turn to:
a) Prevent other people from raising it (unless they had the nut flush, I thought they wouldn't).
b) I was willing to call a raise, so I figured I'd do it myself and maybe fold a better flush (haha), or at least slow him down.
c) I was planning on taking a free river if possible (even though I didn't).

When SB checked the river again, I just couldn't resist betting. He was the only one I put on a flush, the others I put on two pair, set, and nut flush draw type hands. I had once seen the SB make this same play (call one bet then 3 bet when a bunch of players are trapped in) with a set, so there was the possibility he had a set again. It was not a monotone board the previous time he did it.

So there's the hand and some of my thinking behind it, lay into me.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Severly overplayed flopped flush?

I would probably 4bet the flop. Given the way you played it, You have an easy value bet on the river when SB just calls your turn raise, especially since all those other guys are in and you were effectively getting paid off 4-1.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:18 PM

Standard unless SB is the type that would never 3-bet here without a flush, since basically everything except 32s flush has you beat.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 PM

I've played in games where you played this hand fine. If you don't have the best hand, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't see more action on the turn.

Was it in fact, severely overplayed?

Peace,

Joe
Old 05-07-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Results

After I bet the river, I was called in all 3 spots. Small blind asked "How high is it?", and I knew I was beat. SB had J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], EP cold caller had top two pair, and MP cold caller had just the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and for some reason called on the river.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:28 AM

I don't think you overplayed your hand. I would also have raised the turn to make the others pay to draw to beat me. While the small blind's flop 3-bet seems ominous, he might indeed have a set and I still want to do all I can not to save a bet, but to give myself the best chance to win the pot. That's why I wouldn't have 4-bet the flop, but waited to raise the turn.

I also would have bet the river if he checked. Just one of those hands where you're destined to lose a bunch of chips because you flopped a flush and somebody else flopped a higher one. Other than catching a straight flush on the river, nothing much else you can do.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:15 AM

not overplayed in the slightest... sb is a pansy who cannot play whatsoever..