Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Split decision

Matt,

Like you, I do a lot of different stuff pre-flop. And I do a lot of different stuff on the flop. Sometimes I do the raise and bet line. When I do that, I probably push.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Hey Matt,

100 BB stacks are a biatch, aren't they...?

Whether or not you personally would usually have a big pair or big cards here, it's probably what they mark you on, since that's what most people will have here. And, given that, I think there is a very slim chance of his folding whatever he raised with, given the stack sizes (i.e. even if he raised a little light, when you move all-in, it looks like an overpair with a spade or something like that, and he calls with whatever AsJx or whatever because he has priced himself in). I think the chances of his putting a move on here are lower than normal, again, since he "knows" what you have and that you might push a lot of those hands if he raises (correct me if his perception of you is not what I assume it to be).

Anyway, I probably check the flop and hope it goes something like: CO-1 bet, CO call/fold, check-raise all-in. Or, checked through wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

CO-1 check, CO bet, CR all-in would be so beautiful if the stacks were just a smidge shallower.

I think that the bet/check decision, as Diablo alluded to, is more of a product of image than one being intrinsically right/wrong. A check here fits me very well.

Given the bet, I think that all of the options are relatively close (tweaking some assumptions could make each fold/call/raise the clear choice). I probably raise. I hate myself when I raise here, but I really don't see much of a choice, since you have a ton of outs against almost every holding that he might have. Hope it worked out.

Mike
Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-I check the flop.

-I fold to the raise. I don't feel you have any fold equity.

I don't like drawing to the second nuts and being out of position.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Garland on this one.
Unless he's on a complete bluff, I don't see any hand worth raising here folding to your all-in.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM

...but there's this "bet pot" button see - and it's just sitting there WAITING to be pushed - and it seemed lonely...

good point. a smaller bet would've made things easier. i potted it because i do not raise out of the blinds often and on UB sub-pot bets they are a good way to entice a raise, but as it played it would've been better to sub-pot it.

matt
Old 05-06-2005, 10:26 AM

good luck and never fear: no one forgets how to swim.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:31 AM

i did a pot-and-go. bet $340 then flopped a set on another game and goed over to it. when i looked back i'd been raised and the chat box said "you have 15 seonds to respond," meaning i had somewhere between 0 and 14.9 seconds to click. so this was truly a snap decision. $560 to create a $2K pot with $1,400 left to get and likely will get it - i called.

turn came a small spade. i checked. he went all in. i called. river a blank. he had JT for top two on the flop.

mulling over the hand i thought even though the decision seemed really hard in the split moment, there was really no way to make a big mistake there as all lines were close. anybody see it differently?

matt
Old 05-06-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What decision? He has the A of spades, push and hope he only has high card A and you drag pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] isn't folding to the push. Note that if neither improve, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x drags the pot.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

These are my thoughts exactly, with 25 seconds, I dump. Perhaps with more thought I talk myself into calling, but I think a fold is right given where you are at.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey creedofhubris, can you elaborate on what you mean by

"strong players don't limp in with JT."

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant to say is, strong players usually don't come in with JT into a pot with no one in it, in late position, without raising it.

What's the point?

Without multiway action, it's a weak hand that has little in its favor besides position (it's not favored over two random blind hands), and if you're going to play position, might as well come in for a raise.

(I guess CO is overlimping, so JT is a marginally better call for him.)
Old 05-06-2005, 01:01 PM

All lines were close but I think moving in was best. The only hand that you’re in bad shape to is a made flush. Any other monster villain may have you’re about even money. If the villain doesn’t have a monster, you have folding equity. So I guess it boils down to the likelihood that villain had a flush vs. the likelihood villain has a non-monster…But I would guess moving in is the best line.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:19 PM

well obv calling and moving on the turn would have been the worst. AI on flop and the way you played it would have resulted in the same thing

gh

Peace,

Joe