Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Too Unlucky For Poker?

I know a lot of you will say I'm just being silly or stupid.... But I have concluded that I am just too unlucky for poker. My friends used to tell me that I'm just on a bad streak and it'll pass, bla bla bla. But I've known for quite some time that I'm the one poker player that the odds and percentages simply do not apply to. And to finally prove this to myself and everyone else I performed a little test.

I decided to write down every time I go all-in with the best hand. I mostly play SnG's on Full Tilt, so that's where I got all of my hands from. Just to make sure this is clear, I only wrote down the hands in which I was in the lead at the time I went all-in. Out of 200 hands in which I put all of my chips in the pot, and I was ahead at that time, I won only 40 hands.

Some of the people I play with on a regular basis have openly admitted to me that they will almost always call a big raise from me no matter what cards they have. The reason for this is because they know the stronger my hand is, the more money I'm likely to lose with it.

So is it time for me to give it up? Or is there a way to break this cycle? I guess I could just reverse my play and try to make sure I'm always all-in with the worst hand. Any advice?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Too Unlucky For Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you will say I'm just being silly or stupid....

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being silly and stupid. Variance is a bitch, but NO ONE escapes regression to the mean.

eastbay
Old 11-07-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Luck Is Not Real

There is no reason why an unintelligent, natural force would know the difference between a "good" outcome and a "bad" outcome in a game because these things are arbitrary decisions based on the rule that PEOPLE set for the game. In fact, in some games the cards are dealt similarly but the conditions for winning are different (i.e. 7-stud hi vs. Razz). So only an intelligent force could possibly assign good luck vs. bad luck, meaning believing you are unlucky is the equivalent of saying that God wants you to lose.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Luck Is Not Real

[ QUOTE ]
believing you are unlucky is the equivalent of saying that God wants you to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't God want him to lose?
I certainly want him to lose. I think he deserves to lose. Maybe God feels the same way.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Luck Is Not Real

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason why an unintelligent, natural force would know the difference between a "good" outcome and a "bad" outcome in a game because these things are arbitrary decisions based on the rule that PEOPLE set for the game. In fact, in some games the cards are dealt similarly but the conditions for winning are different (i.e. 7-stud hi vs. Razz). So only an intelligent force could possibly assign good luck vs. bad luck, meaning believing you are unlucky is the equivalent of saying that God wants you to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

good news is we found out why you are unlucky. bad news is...
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you will say I'm just being silly or stupid....

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being silly and stupid. Variance is a bitch, but NO ONE escapes regression to the mean.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2005, 02:46 AM

Tony, you are not being silly or stupid. It is quite normal to ascribe "higher powers" to a "higher being". Any individual who does in fact believe in a higher power/being, while at the same time deriding the possibility of that being's potential manipulations at the individual level, is the one who is silly and stupid. Perhaps your destiny is elswhere and you are being guided there (and away from poker/gambling). Maybe your spiritual energies don't mesh with poker, etc. There are any number of possible explanations that go beyond statistical variance, IF you believe in God/spirituality. If not, then one is correct to assume that the numbers will eventually balance out. Either way, I wish you happiness and success in life...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 AM

<font color="blue">And to finally prove this to myself and everyone else I performed a little test. </font>

Well, you proved it to yourself anyway.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">And to finally prove this to myself and everyone else I performed a little test. </font>

Well, you proved it to yourself anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-07-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a way to break this cycle?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stop crying like a girl and play more hands.