Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why tip a poker dealer?
e) they don't make enough money already 17 28.81%
d) she's hot 4 6.78%
c) guilt (because the job sucks) 2 3.39%
b) everybody does it 26 44.07%
a) it's polite 10 16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Late Tournament Play (was I wrong)

Alright here's the situation, the 3 final tables are payed in this tournament and we just reached that level. I'm 22nd in chips and there are only 24 players left. Most of the players are simply folding and letting the big chips stacks move up in order to try to get to the final 18 where there is more money. I have 2.5 the bb and I'm UTG, I moved all-in w/ ace 9. Should I have waited for better cards or made the move then. I ran into the BB having pocket kings and lost but I'm wondering did I do the textbook play.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Late Tournament Play (was I wrong)

Were there any antes involved? If there were, you made the right play as you probably wouldn't make an orbit.

If there were no antes and your main goal was to survive for a pay raise, then I would fold every hand without even looking. Play it like a satellite and try to just squeek in at 18.

However, the real analysis should be what caused your stack to get to 2.5 BB in the first place. It may be that you just took a bad beat againt a slightly smaller stack. But try posting some hands you were involved in prior to this to find any possible leaks.

Steve
Old 07-01-2005, 05:03 PM

Actually there were no antes at this point but I did have to pay the bb next turn. Also, most players were also playing tight and trying to move up into 18th position, I think it was actually 15 minutes between two people getting eliminated. Since I was so low in chips, I felt I had to make a move since a 9 is better than any random hand. Thx for the input though.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:16 PM

Unless this tournament is just out-of-control crazy, it's very, very unlikely that 6 players are going to bust out before you get blinded out. Plus, if you pay the blinds this orbit and get AA with one BB left in your stack and double-up, you're STILL probably not going to outlast 6 players.

Take a shot while you still have a bullet and not a snowball.