Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Default am I ready for this???

<font color="orange"> </font> My boyfriend has been teaching me to play poker. I think he's made me too paranoid. He has me convinced that if a player makes a large bet from a certain position he's got a great hand. Im sure that may be true for the limits he plays I find it hard to believe this is true in the $5 sit&amp; go's that I play. For instance...Im playing one now...I did exactly what he would have told me to do...I have A J os...I raise pre flop to 3X the BB... one caller... the flop...K Q J different suits. I bet again 3x bb and he goes all in for about 1700...I only have 2600 so I fold it. He shows A 9 os. Now a few ppl at the table are trying to bully me. Did I make the right choice...or has he made me too paranoid? Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: am I ready for this???

I don't think you can make that call. Unless you've seen this player go all-in a few times with A-x, and consistently play real hands much slower.

Reading Harrington - one way to think about playing that hand against a really aggressive player is to check raise a really agressive player. If he calls this he probably does have a good hand. I have started using this now and again with success. I very rarely check raised previously. Don't over do it though.

On this same hand you describe what if your opponent just calls, now what do you do? He could be on a draw or have one of the higher pairs, or better. If you don't improve on the turn. It's probably not worth another bet, but if you check you are basically surrendering the pot. Plus if the check raise doesn't work, when you really do have a hand, people will be more likely to call you down.

Find my self getting in more trouble by over-estimating how often people bluff. Not the other way around.

If I am getting pushed around, I tighten my game, find a good hand, let them bully and then push back BIG.

That's my advice as a fellow beginner, now lets see what the experts say...
Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 PM

Stop listening to your boyfriend immediately. He's setting up strict guidelines for you to follow that:

A) a good player will pick up on in no time.
B) is majorly hindering your ability to adapt and change to the game.

There are many many great poker books out there, waiting to be absorbed by players like yourself. Your boyfriend did a great thing teaching you the basics of the game, but by setting limits such as the ones you described, you're probably putting too much money into pots you won't win and not enough into the ones you will. Keep practicing and reading. Best of luck to you.

ps. I think you made the right decision in folding. There was a K and a Q out there, in which any sane player would fold to an all in bet. If they bully you around after, then you know THEY are the fish, and you just have to play tighter.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:13 AM

I'm new to poker as well, and we're similar in the fact that we're trying to play by certain guidelines (I get mine from books, you get yours from your boyfriend). One thing I'm learning quick is that each player plays differently. You'll have to watch each opponent with a keen eye and see how they play. Then change the way you play in an effort to spoil their plans, but at the same time not deviating from your own guidelines too much. Guidelines are great, but don't follow them too strictly.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop listening to your boyfriend immediately. He's setting up strict guidelines for you to follow that:

A) a good player will pick up on in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, she said she's playing $5 SnGs. There aren't many good players there. Maybe people like me, who don't know NLHE and are trying to learn, but are moderately observant. Although I grant you, if she's folding any non-nut hand to any push then yes, even the $5 players will notice.

[ QUOTE ]
B) is majorly hindering your ability to adapt and change to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the more important point, and I consider the rest of your advice sound (given that I'm pretty much a newbie myself).
Old 07-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the advice! I just finished reading Getting Started in Hold em and The Badass girls guide to playing poker ( gotta love that one although I think most of the players on here would laugh at me for reading it like he did) I liked it though. He told me to read Harrington on Holdem next....any other suggestions? I dont really like ring games. I prefer the sit n go's. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 AM

This thread is useless without a picture.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:48 AM

I agree, with some pictures we would certainly be able to give you better advice.

But with that said, I don't think there's any way for you to make that call.

But with that said, I think if you have anything in your screen name on the poker site that indicates you're a she and not a he, you're going to get bluffed relentlessly. Just my opinion.

T
Old 07-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Men become fish when a woman is at the table.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, with some pictures we would certainly be able to give you better advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well as far as the picture goes....been there....done that!
I had my picture as my avatar for all of 10 seconds before a certain someone decided to use it as his avatar and my face was all over every forum...so that went right out the window. Sorry!

As far as my name... it does tell that Im a girl....let's just say my boyfriends name was...hmm...I dont know....Frank? then my name would be "franksgirl"...but I dont think I am able to change that.
What do you mean "men turn into fish when a woman is at the table"?