Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Good Book?

What is a good book for playing small to mid stakes single table no limit holdem? All the books that I am finding refer to large tournament play. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Good Book?

To begin with: Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller.

And then Harrington on Hold'em vol. 1 and Ciaffone and Reuben's Pot-Limit and No Limit Poker.

This type of questin is asked all the time by the way. You might want to try the search function.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:04 PM

For 1 table tournaments, "Championship Satellite Strategy" by Tom McEvoy and Brad Daugherty is good if you're a beginner or new to small no-limit tourneys. The SNG FAQs thread from the 1 table tournament forum is also a good place to start.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:31 AM

You did not answer his question.
He asked for a recomendation for single table tournaments, and you recommended pl and nl holdem cash game books.
Terrible recommendation.

Truth be told their has not yet been any good material posted on SnG strategy other than on our forum. Millers in GSOH says folding has value and he essentially says nothing else. HOH v.1 says a wee bit about STT, but is also grossly inadequate. Lee Jones is advertizing he is pioneering the work STT in the third edition of low limit. I am thinking that HOH v2 The End Game, will be by far the best and most applicable publication concerning single table tournaments, however I have not read the book.

So their are my critisizms and a recomendations base on a book have not yet seen, however am still very confident will be the best material to study for single table tournaments
HOH v2
Old 07-01-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You did not answer his question.
He asked for a recomendation for single table tournaments, and you recommended pl and nl holdem cash game books.
Terrible recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

GSIH covers tournament play for MTT, SNG and satellites. Yes, the advice is geared toward beginners, but it has more value than you assign it.

Of course, reading the forums here is the best if you can wade through the dreck.

Regards,

T
Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a good book for playing small to mid stakes single table no limit holdem? All the books that I am finding refer to large tournament play. Any advice is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read HoH2 yet. That said, there are no books dedicated to SnGs, and a few books, as mentioned, that may help.

Keep in mind that SnGs fall into 2 catagories: the Party/Skins type, and the more conventional type. Briefly, in the first type you get T800 to start, in the others you get T1500. In the higher limit Party SnGs, you start with T1000, but my understanding is that these still play more like the T800 games.

These 2 types of games are totally different. The degree of difference in play and winning strategy between these games is about as big as the degree of difference between limit and no limit holdem at the lower limits. Make sure that you understand the difference in strategy between the games, and that you know which game the writer or poster you are reading is talking about.

PS: If HoH2 turns out to be of value for SnGs, my guess is that its value would be for T1500 games. Its hard to picture "Action Dan" making moves in the T800's.

PPS: If you play T800's, read Sklansky's tournament book. The gap principle is vital to these games. (The previous sentence is a huge understatement.)