Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Limit Player who Loses playing no limit

I have learned to play poker through reading two plus two material. Almost of of the books are pertaining to limit holdem. I have purchased Harrington on Holdem and havn't spent a lot of time with the book yet. My question is - how can I learn to play no limit. Are their other books I should know about. I suppose the best thing to do would be to read and reread harrington on holdem and the Super system. Any other recommendations.
Thanks
Idaho
Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Limit Player who Loses playing no limit

Apologies for repeating myself from an earlier post today, but --

I've been flailing with SSNL for a few months now, but in the two weeks I've been intensely reading this forum, my game has made a complete U-turn. In a couple of weeks, I have erased about half of my losses over the last six months. (May be blind sh*thouse luck, but if it is it's way out on the curve.)

If I were you I would not bother looking for a book. (I have the same books you have.) Print and read every long post by fimbulwinter, soah, The_Worst_Player and Kaz_The_Original, for starters. Their stuff is absolute gold. Reading their posts gets you in the mindset of using your entire stack on every street of every hand. Their collective hand commentaries have changed my game.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 PM

This question gets asked daily. (I already saw it once today)

Maybe they should stick a faq at the top of the page for this question?

I'm going to make a guess about limit players... they play too many draws? And they lose more money with marginal hands because they can't control the pot size on the river (no more, "I only have to call one bet").

DON'T read Phil Hellmuth's NL book. I found it pretty empty.

I read Supersystem which was a very eye opening read if only to understand the power of aggression.

I accidentally bought and read, "No Limit Texas Hold'em
Brad Daugherty - Tom McEvoy" Somehow I missed the top which said, "New Player". It is really the basics. Might be useful for a new player. (I can't judge because I'd been playing too long by the time I read it.)

Frankly... if you were good at Limit, I'd bet you can pick up how to adjust just by reading this sight for a week or two.

Search also for "favorite threads." I think some people have marked some key threads.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:37 AM

Check out "Pot-limit & No-limit poker" by Stewart Reuben and Bob Ciaffone. Mason Malmuth recomends it in "Poker essays V.3", so u got a recomendation from a limit player.