Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Puzzles/games to assist in improving poker skill?

learn how to solve the rubix cube. do that for a week and youll be 'cool' in front of yer friends when u can do it in under a minute. play a lot of chess. thats always a good mental break from poker. it keeps yer mind active but in a different way. exercise. that will improve yer game by releasing endorphins or something in yer brain. makes you play better after working out. i never do it, but thats what they say.. holla
Old 06-29-2005, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies thus far. I'm hoping this thread generates more responses because I'm always looking for ways to improve my game. I'm also thinking playing roshambo (sp?) would be good exercise as well. I don't know if I could find someone willing to play more than a few turns with me though. Maybe they have something like that over the internet.

Anyone have any ideas about games, etc. that would assist in figuring out and manipulating your opponent that would be efficient ways to practice? (I don't want to play 50 rounds of battleship with someone, for example).
Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Multitabling speed chess?! Damn, I've played plenty of competitive chess in the past and don't think I could handle that.

Computer programming is a good mental exercise that'll keep you sharp. Entertaining also.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:08 PM

As an International Chess Master, I would think that less than 0.5% of tournament players would be capable of playing even remotely reasonable five-minute chess over more than two boards. I doubt I could do more than three and still play any better than randomly.

If you want to hone your fast twitch muscles and instantaneous pattern recognition, I would suggest bullet chess:

1 sec/move

or

1 min/game.

Just don't overdo it, it is very fatiguing.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:08 PM

If you do a survey of successful poker players, I bet you will find that a large majority of them have a "gamer's" background.

I am not talking about monopoly or trivial persuit, I am talking about other games that involve a bit of logic and calculation. Chess, Bridge,backgammon and believe it or not, Magic the gathering (card game) require mental sharpness and ability to calculate a wide variety of opponent's moves.
Heck, even Risk the board game involves doing a risk vs. reward calculation of wether a certain attack is likely to succeed and pay off.

Players that are good at these types of games tend to be good at poker; at least mechanics wise.

Oh btw monopoly can is driven more by pure luck and dealmaking than anything else, but really good players have a huge edge knowing how to use the few strategies available in an even game.
Hoarding houses which are limited in the game and buying the optimal amount of houses for a property when cash is scarce are a couple of strategies. (usually 3 since the payout for houses is something like 0.8,2,6,8,10)
Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Backgammon. It's amazing how much it applies to poker.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 AM

Default HEY THAT IS A HELL OF A QUESTION!? GREAT TOPIC.

I cannot believe nobody mentioned backgammon until the previous two posts. Thats Crazy!

Thank you to the previous two posters.

This is a very serious question and I think it merits a plethora of speculation.

Question - what NONPOKER games can an individual study, in order to cross train, or otherwise build a gaming base in order to improve his poker win rate.
I don't know the answer to the question but I am eager for suggestions, however not the damned color cube, and not monopoly, but real time tested strategy games.

After I read GSOH's acknowledgements to Bill Robertie, I immediatly bought 'backgammon for winners' and started to study. Please keep in mind that I do not play backgammon, I don't even own a backgammon board, nor do I know how to set one up. I am studying the game for the first time in order to increase my poker ev. Is this something others would encourage.

What do you all think of this, do you have any other NONPOKER gameing recomendations to use for cross training in order to improve win rate.

Sorry you all but this question gets me very excited.

Peacefulness
Idaho

Sp
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone out there with good insight on this? I'm wondering about mental/psychological 'cross training'. What would be some good games/puzzles, etc. to do/practice with and why?

I.E. crossword puzzles, rubix cube type puzzles, chess, etc.

I'm wondering if it is more +EV to study/practice with some of those things as opposed to only studing poker. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try getting some friends together for a night of Perudo.

It will help improve your live game (ability to successfully bluff, ability to better read your opponents, quickly calculate odds) and it is really fun (especially drunk - but not necessary).

It can help you learn to read people outside of poker and maybe you start to see things in your live games that you missed before.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:44 PM

I'm an admitted chess addict and play it about as much as I do poker. Chess will help your poker game because chess requires Discipline (with a capital D) with no room for illusions about the quality of your play. The game punishes impulsiveness more than any other. It will also force you to think many moves (or streets) ahead of the other guy and have a plan ready for whatever he does.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 AM

Anything that makes you think will probably be +EV.

Chess is great. Years ago when I played more, I tried few games blindfolded and I'd like to train more, but it's hard to get someone to play with me.

That would be beneficial for the memory and perhaps some other parts of the brain you don't use when you play with your eyes open.