Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: what to do with SUPER tight SUPER passive tables?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so if the choice is between playing at a tight passive table and not playing, you choose not playing?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't find another table?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha so true

but seriously, if you can't switch to another site because of lack of funds elswhere(whole roll on Paradise) and can't get a good .5/1 game, then either quit for now

or find a good .25/.5 table
Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 PM

Dunno why nobody is being useful here...use your position more and raise alot. Marginal hands in position are worth plenty when you can steal the blinds. If you get played back at play smart and fold mostly because they aren't bluffing. Raise goofy suited connectors, any ace, any king, etc in late position, steal steal steal. Your stats should look like 25/20 or so with most of that being in the later positions.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-27-2005, 01:42 PM

These tables are THE worst, period. The only money to be made is usually by stealing pots. If there's a calling station or two forget it. Whatever profit you'll might make at this table is too tiny to mess with. Unless you want to ply your skills in a rock garden for some strange reason, find a looser table or quit and use that time for studying poker, both are a better and more profitable use of your time.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:56 PM

The plus side that no one has touched on (or my reading skills are shot) is that there's going to be little rake at a super-tight/passive .50-1 table. If you keep winning $2 pots, you never have to give up a cut to the house.

And a slow grind with small pots also means less variance.

The only problem I see is that maybe you're risk-averse, which is why you don't just play 6-max, where it's much looser. So, you might be uncomfortable with the more aggressive play you need to win at the tight tables. That would be a problem.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The plus side that no one has touched on (or my reading skills are shot) is that there's going to be little rake at a super-tight/passive .50-1 table. If you keep winning $2 pots, you never have to give up a cut to the house.

And a slow grind with small pots also means less variance.

The only problem I see is that maybe you're risk-averse, which is why you don't just play 6-max, where it's much looser. So, you might be uncomfortable with the more aggressive play you need to win at the tight tables. That would be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the rake starts at 5 cents for every dollar in the pot at Paradise. You can't escape it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the rake starts at 5 cents for every dollar in the pot at Paradise. You can't escape it.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, if you're playing at Paradise, that would suck.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dunno why nobody is being useful here...use your position more and raise alot. Marginal hands in position are worth plenty when you can steal the blinds. If you get played back at play smart and fold mostly because they aren't bluffing. Raise goofy suited connectors, any ace, any king, etc in late position, steal steal steal. Your stats should look like 25/20 or so with most of that being in the later positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just sitting on the toilet readin Theory of Poker when I came to this same conclusion, I am opening my arsenal of hands up to at least what I consider blind defending hands. If people are only calling your raise with a good hand, you already basically already know what is in their hand, especially after the flop. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WEAK-TIGHT people. We at one point were, and probably still are, so we know their,our, tendencies.

I think this will loosen up the table or at least one fish after a few orbits.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:11 AM

straddle. It works wonders in live games. I know you can't not look at your cards, just announce it when you are on the button.

You: I will be raising UTG next turn no matter what my cards are. Who wants to gamble it up a little?
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 AM

The rake starts at 25c after the first $5 is in the pot.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:27 AM

Try this trick sometime. I about laughed my ass off when I hit the board. Be sure to show your hand and say you are a poker genius!

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB.