Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Man, I love charity side games (LC)

Here in Ohio, we suck. So we have to have quasi-legal "Charity" tournaments, which are just basically a cover for some organizations to donate some money to a charity, and rake themselves some nice profit over the weekend.

Tournament structure is typically horrible, but the live action afterwards (2/4, 3/6, 5/10 and higher if there's interest). Stud, Omaha, Hold 'Em (both limit and no limit).

To make a short story long, I'm sitting at the 5/10 table, UTG+1, I muck A6o. Dealer swoops his hand in the way, and my Ah gets flipped up.

You'd have thought I shot the Pope or something, as the dealer announced, "Ace of hearts exposed. Not coming." The looks I got from the people around the table were priceless. One guy from across the table actually said, "You folded an ACE?"

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sometimes it's nice to be in a state that doesn't have legalized gambling. It makes people that much crazier when they do get the opportunity close to home.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Man, I love charity side games (LC)

You were happy they saw that!! I would have been fuming on the inside. You do not want them to know you tighter than they are. I hop you quickly said it was a mistake or something, cos thats bad for your image.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 PM

"i thought ace was low!"
Old 09-16-2005, 01:53 AM

I didn't respond at all, since it came from across the table. I pretended I didn't hear him.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:15 AM

Hahah. One of my favorite quotes from 3/6. "You have to see the flop when you have an Ace. You have half the table beat right off the bat!" Of course the correct response is "Definitely, I always play when I have an Ace. Especially when it's suited!"

I know the feeling about folding a hand most people cold call with turned over. I mucked Q8o from the small blind in a 3/6 game and got the exact looks you described.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:54 AM

Do they rake the pot in the side games?

I went to one charity tournement when I was in Vermont and an announcement was made- "We will have some cash games after the tournement and part of each pot will be taken for the charity (I don't remember what it was) lets say about half the pot" I about fainted- in a half an hour all the money would have been taken off the table- I think I was the only person who realized how insane that was. I guess 10% up to $4 plus a $1 jackpot rake isn't so bad.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they rake the pot in the side games?

I went to one charity tournement when I was in Vermont and an announcement was made- "We will have some cash games after the tournement and part of each pot will be taken for the charity (I don't remember what it was) lets say about half the pot" I about fainted- in a half an hour all the money would have been taken off the table- I think I was the only person who realized how insane that was. I guess 10% up to $4 plus a $1 jackpot rake isn't so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

They rake 10% up to $5, but there's no tipping allowed (all dealers and workers are supposedly "volunteers" and aren't allowed to accept tips) so you save a little bit with no tipping. And with the size of the pots on average, the rake impact is minimized.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here in Ohio, we suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words were never spoker.

Go Blue

PG
Old 09-16-2005, 11:52 AM

Where do you play Baloosh? Just curious if you're a Columbus or a Cleveland area player.

-r
Old 09-16-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you play Baloosh? Just curious if you're a Columbus or a Cleveland area player.

-r

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither. I live near Dayton.