Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-19-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Stud8 - Day 3, Hand 3

This is similar to hand 2, except that the pair is smaller and my position is much better. Should I still be folding third?

Once again (see hand 1), I'm faced with a river value bet with two pair. This time it's tens up instead of fives up. I felt this was a significantly better value bet. Is this assessment correct?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (3.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (5.40 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (7.40 BB)
Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Stud8 - Day 3, Hand 3

3rd:I would come in for sure at this cheap price in last position. Your hand is not that bad. On the river, it looks very close between a bet & a check to me.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:57 AM

I would bet 4th every time here.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet 4th every time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

In stud8? Why?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:30 AM

I would check, but betting fourth wouldn't be a bad idea. You're looking at some pretty putrid boards there.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:41 AM

You played this one well.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:22 AM

I would bet 4th cause I wouldnt imagine the lows calling and if I had the pair of Queens there I would probably fold but against a pair of Queens even if he calls you're not in too bad of shape.

Also and perhaps more importantly I think in Stud8 things like this come up where you can make an EV neutral type bet that can get others to think you are a loose cannon, which if you are playing tight and stuff you most definitely are not.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:29 AM

I agree that giving a lot of action especially with an ace up is a good move. Like in SSII, Brunson says good to play ace and 2 sooted babies fast with ace showing so that when you have pair of aces, kings call you down.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:10 AM

I'm sure you are aware of this, but the river decision in this hand is far different than in Hand 1. In Hand 1, you board looked like a low hand (with high possibilities). Here is it clear you have tens up (with low possibilities).