Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Zen-like revelation (just wanted to share)

Okay. I had been worried about something I had noticed while on a downswing: it would often seem like I was winning a session, only I would find myself down at the end of it. I found this expereince even more disheaartening during the downswing (which reached 190 bbs) than the actually downswing itself. There seemed to be the illusions of my winning where I was not.

I posted a question about this on the psychology forum. I got into a discussion with bison about this. His response was really good (as usual) -- here is a link

I didn't actually understand what he was saying until tonite. I decided it was time to bust some ass, so I got some Abitas (great Louisiana microbrew) and listened to Grade (great, now defunct handcore punk band, and nice guys to boot), and while I was playing .5/1 Party it hit me: it's not about the sessions. As I was sitting there drunk, listening to a kick ass band, I fully grasped something I have always understood cognitively, but had never fully grapsed until tonite. It is really all one big session. Playing successful poker is all about constantly putting yourself in +EV sisuation. We have all read this in Sklansky's et al's works, but I never really got it until tonite.

Seeming to win when I lost was not the illusion, the concept of a loosing session was the illusion. "Sessions" are meaningless concepts, a social construction that we created. Putting yourself in positions that are +EV is what matters.

Much thanks to Abita beer, the ex-members of Grade, and bisonbison for helping me realize this.