Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Foxwoods WPT O-8 Tournament - Life saved

Played in the WPT O-8 tournament yesterday (placed 53 of 280 which for a second time live event was not a bad performance - made only one significant mistake).

Non-poker stuff first. An older man, Billy, suffered an apparent heart attack during the event and we got to see the best of people and the worst of people in about thirty seconds. The best - the doctor in the field (who conicidentally knocked me out with AA to my KK) who probably saved Billy's life by performing CPR and assisting EMS through shocking the heart and inserting an airway. The worst - the jerk at my table who was UTG when Billy went down and the room was in chaos. Everyone looking at the horor and this guy, in response to someone at my table saying, should we wait for instructions, says "I raise". Everyone folded and we went on a break. Karma being what it is, I don't believe he lasted much longer. Epilogue, they announced that at the hospital, Billy was sitting up and alert.

On the poker side just a couple of quickies:

All in "ettiquette" - got berated by another player when, with a third player all-in, I raised (with a nut low and a K high flush). After he folded he whined about how I was "supposed to check it down". How can I not raise in that spot?

Got seated at two rock tables early on and built up from 1500 to 5500 whent he field went from 280 to 120 so I had above average chips. Got seated at a table with three big stacks, lost one hand and was essentially all-in committed by that time. Anything a tournament player can do when you get stuck in rock gardens while other tables are gambling it up? When you get moved to tables with big stacks, the game changes significantly.

Train wreck with dealer and mucker - I have to admit I've never seen this one before. All fold to me, I raise, all fold to BB who calls. As he puts his chips in, SB is folding and there is a massive collision with the dealers left hand (holding the flop cards) and the flop cards end up face up on the table. Floor called. Anyone care to guess the ruling on this one?

All in all, a well run event. The new tournament chips at FW are much nicer than the old ones and the dealers generally did a good job.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods WPT O-8 Tournament - Life saved

[ QUOTE ]
(who conicidentally knocked me out with AA to my KK)

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a wierd comment about an O8 tournament.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:19 PM

Talk about karma. I clicked on Pokerpages and see that Dr. Will Noyes is going to the final table with 58000 chips. I know Dr. Will pretty good as we've played against each other a lot over the years and he's a real nice guy. In fact we had made a deal to have a % of each other in the shootout but alas despite him putting a bad beat on me and having a massive chip lead he didn't get the seat. But I digress.

So my buddy Carlo is still down there and I call him on his cell to ask him about the "save" and if it was Dr Will who saved the guy and he said it was. Unreal. I really hope he wins it.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(who conicidentally knocked me out with AA to my KK)

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a wierd comment about an O8 tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, on the surface it might sound wierd, but under the circumstances it was the right move by me given the blinds my stack, my position and a couple of other table/time specific factors. I hear you though, probably should have worded it more carefully.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk about karma. I clicked on Pokerpages and see that Dr. Will Noyes is going to the final table with 58000 chips. I know Dr. Will pretty good as we've played against each other a lot over the years and he's a real nice guy. In fact we had made a deal to have a % of each other in the shootout but alas despite him putting a bad beat on me and having a massive chip lead he didn't get the seat. But I digress.

So my buddy Carlo is still down there and I call him on his cell to ask him about the "save" and if it was Dr Will who saved the guy and he said it was. Unreal. I really hope he wins it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When they put the photos up tonight I'll let you know if the doc at the final table is the same guy. My gut tells me it is because this guy I lost to was as good a guy as you say.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 PM

Any chance you were at table 6 or 7? If the doctor you were referriong to was the man in the Harvard sweatshirt, then yes he was a very nice man and very quick to act when Billy went down.

On a poker note, where were you when you got knocked out? I got busted in about 45th, by a nasty bad beat. Table 6, seat 5 all day. VT hat.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance you were at table 6 or 7? If the doctor you were referriong to was the man in the Harvard sweatshirt, then yes he was a very nice man and very quick to act when Billy went down.

On a poker note, where were you when you got knocked out? I got busted in about 45th, by a nasty bad beat. Table 6, seat 5 all day. VT hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went out on table 5 seat 9. Played at 4 tables to that point, 28, 1, 13, 12. Got the short end of a table move when I went from 13 to 12 on the blind and 12 broke when I had to pay the blind the next orbit. Unlucky break but what can you do.

Sorry to hear you got close to the $$ but didn't get over the hump.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 AM

Well done Dr Will. Save a life, win a tourney. Nice parlay!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Doc, who aided in a medical emergency situation on
Monday, had overcome the entire field to collect the crystal trophy, leather jacket and $47,925!

Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 PM

This whole thread is pretty adorable.