Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your favorite bagel ?
Plain 7 11.67%
Sesame 7 11.67%
Poppy 8 13.33%
Garlic 7 11.67%
Onion 4 6.67%
Everything 17 28.33%
Cinnamon Raisin 6 10.00%
Pumpernickel 1 1.67%
Other 1 1.67%
Don't eat bagels 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Because I like watching people lie...

Even when they know everyone else knows they're lying.

So far this Fiscal Year, the U. S. Government spent $336 Billion of your money on interest payments to the holders of the National Debt. Compare that to NASA at $15 Billion, Education at $61 Billion, and Department of Transportation at $56 Billion.

I don't want to hear any whining about a third option. It is impossible for both parties to be exactly as representative of the value of fiscal responsibility.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Because I like watching people lie...

I can't really blame people for saying that Republicans are fiscally conservative. The Republicans have repeatedly trumpeted that they are the fiscally responsible party and the Democrats haven't really challenged them. I don't know why Democrats let themselves be defined as Big Spenders when it isn't true.

Also, a commentator on TV made the point last night that Bush's overspending has not only been reckless, but terribly misallocated. Bush's big spending has brought us Michael Chertoff, Fema, and Iraq. I want a refund.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:04 AM

Grey:

You do know that Reagan and Bush both inherited the beginnings of a recession? Right?

Do you have another curve overlay that shows the tax cuts that occurred during those times?

With that said, the republicans are being so irresponsible it is not even funny. The Dems look much better at it.

But the Dems only solution is to raise taxes. And that is unacceptable...

-Gryph
Old 09-16-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain the spending cuts you would make to balance the budget. I'll accept as "balanced" a budget +/- $100B.

Alternatively, please explain in detail how further cuts in tax rates would result in increased revenues sufficient to result in a balanced budget, specifying the actual rates, the increase in revenues, and the causal mechanism you see between them. Please also state the tax rate at which you concede further cuts would NOT result in additional revenues.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I dont' expect this would have happened on Gore's watch:

http://www.costofwar.com/
Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I dont' expect this would have happened on Gore's watch:

http://www.costofwar.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I concede that. War is a big expense and then it comes down to whether it is money well spent or not. I'm not sure we'll ever know. I personally think that it is money well spent. You can think differently and that is why this is a democratic nation. You elect your people and I elect mine. We help keep each other in line. Or at least try to...

-Gryph
Old 09-16-2005, 11:34 AM

You do know that Reagan increased taxes every year of his Presidency, except the first?

That total reciepts from personal taxpayers have fallen steadily in the Bush Adminstration? CBO Link

You do know that with a Republican majority in both houses and the White House that spending has increased every year (by more than $400 billion per year)

When Bill Clinton took office in 1992, Individual tax reciepts were $476 billion. When he left office in 2000, they were just over $1 trillion. Corporate income taxes went from $100 billion to just over $200 billion.
For 2004, Individual tax receipts (thanks to this 'glorious' recovery) were just $800 billion. Yeah those tax cuts really raised revenues....
Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain the spending cuts you would make to balance the budget. I'll accept as "balanced" a budget +/- $100B.

Alternatively, please explain in detail how further cuts in tax rates would result in increased revenues sufficient to result in a balanced budget, specifying the actual rates, the increase in revenues, and the causal mechanism you see between them. Please also state the tax rate at which you concede further cuts would NOT result in additional revenues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first I would go to a flat tax which on average has increased receipts everywhere that it has been implemented. Now you have more money and are making people pay FAIRLY. Personal and Corporate.

Now, I can think of much better ways of implementing Medicaid and the Transporation Bill. Those are just a few off the top of my head...

There are ways, it just takes some balls to do it and some good hard looks.

Cut funding like the money spent on dredging the Mississipi when the barge traffic is decreasing.

Take a little bit at a time...We'll get there.

-Gryph
Old 09-16-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do know that Reagan increased taxes every year of his Presidency, except the first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But they were always lower than when he first took office. Whats your point? We also outspent the Russians in the Cold War and bankrupted them. I think it was a fair exchange...

[ QUOTE ]

That total reciepts from personal taxpayers have fallen steadily in the Bush Adminstration? CBO Link

[/ QUOTE ]

So? That is due to the recession and the Tech bubble bursting? Whats the point?

[ QUOTE ]

You do know that with a Republican majority in both houses and the White House that spending has increased every year (by more than $400 billion per year)

[/ QUOTE ]

You have me here. I do not agree with what the repubilcans are doing right now. They are spending like drunken sailors...But is the answers raise taxes(Dem's solution?) or cut spending?

[ QUOTE ]

When Bill Clinton took office in 1992, Individual tax reciepts were $476 billion. When he left office in 2000, they were just over $1 trillion. Corporate income taxes went from $100 billion to just over $200 billion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad that we had the benefit of a booming economy during his presidency. No arguments here...

[ QUOTE ]

For 2004, Individual tax receipts (thanks to this 'glorious' recovery) were just $800 billion. Yeah those tax cuts really raised revenues....

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like that is a pretty nice recovery from the bubble bursting. Twice the receipts as '92? Even at 3.5% growth that makes it 605 billion in 12 years. So were are doing better than that and I have more money in my pockets rather than in the governments pockets. Seems like a success to me...

-Gryph
Old 09-16-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But is the answers raise taxes(Dem's solution?) or cut spending?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't it be both? Why shouldn't it be both?

-ptmusic