Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Value Bets Costing me Lots of $$$...

Alright I'm on this 5/10 table, and basically I've started with/flopped monster hands...hands get heads up...Bet river, bet turn, and think I'm making a good value bet on the river only to get C/Red and having to pay of 20$...anyone see anything wrong with any of these 3 river value bets/anything else?

HAND1
-----
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

HAND 2
-----------
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

HAND 3
-----------

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

I guess my question is are all of these river value bets standard? It seems to me like they are, but I literally lost to 3 river checkraises in a span of 20 hands. Can I fold to any of these checkraises with no reads? Check behind any of these rivers to not pay 20$ to a c/r when behind?

Yes I know that hand 1 is not a c/r, just me betting oop.

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Value Bets Costing me Lots of $$$...

bet the flop in hand 1, yes the rest is standard
Old 09-04-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

raise preflop in hand 1, yes the rest is standard

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-04-2005, 10:16 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

oh 4 handed... how weak of me
Old 09-04-2005, 10:18 PM

No, you really can't. If you lost the hands then you lost. It happens, I mean I had QQ and AA cracked w/in 10 hands recently.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Hand 1 is your fault. You should raise w/ KT, especially 4-handed. Great chance to steal or at least knock someone out. I'm assuming BB had two pair--a raise would've prob kicked him out.

Hands 2 and 3 are fine. Don't sweat them.

-AC

EDIT: The first sentence refers to "fold to c/r w/ no read?"
Old 09-04-2005, 10:19 PM

you have to bet these.
Hand3: I think you're really toast here and I'd fold.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

raise preflop in hand 1, yes the rest is standard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Yep I agree about hand 3....I don't respect river checkraises very much, but if I'm going to, it's most likely on that board....you are going to see 2 pair or better so often here....Unless your opponent was a terrible postflop player, I would toss it..
Old 09-05-2005, 07:33 AM

Yes raise preflop hand 1, fold the river in hand 3.

You have to make these bets, but when you get raised don't automatically call. Consider the board, the opponent you're up against, the action so far and the pot odds and try to determine whether calling is correct. It's okay to bet the whole way, bet the river, get raised and fold. In fact against passive players good players do this a lot. It's also correct to pay them off for one more bet a lot of the time--but not every time.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 AM

I call that river in hand 3 getting 8:1.