Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 AM

Default ATs meh

I just didn't feel right about this hand.

New to table, MP1 has high VP$IP, but other then that I am in the dark.

I took a WA/WB approach to this hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $1.50. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
Old 07-13-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Re: ATs meh

Can you explain why you 3-bet flop?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My line was that MP1 could be raising with a scare board, high spade, weak ace etc. I felt 3 betting might give me a more definitive idea of where I stood.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:08 AM

The only reason I would 3 bet the flop is to see if he caps. If I was gonna definitely show down I'd just call the flop raise, then call down from there. If the opponent is fairly passive, or doesn't get much out of line for nothing, I might 3 bet the flop and fold to a cap (or if you don't want to seem weak, call the cap then fold the turn UI).
Old 07-13-2005, 07:23 AM

Fold to a cap?
Like Ed Miller said in one of his posts
"You have top freaking pair!"

Whats wrong with calling this down?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:33 AM

w/o reads, seems fine to me. i played a similar hand with flopped TPMK, had an opponent do the same thing with pocket 7s- one was a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] like this hand. maybe i'm just result oriented based on my hand, but i'd probably play it the same- again w/o reads.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 AM

I like calling down after the raise if you think he'd give up if you 3-bet without the flush.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My line was that MP1 could be raising with a scare board, high spade, weak ace etc. I felt 3 betting might give me a more definitive idea of where I stood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another poster just included this in a list of good articles, but I'll cite it again because it's necessary here.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 AM

Grunching...
Pre-flop: Love the raise with the two forced posts, almost like going against 3 blinds.
Flop: I like the bet, but when I am 3-bet, I would slow down here. I am not giving him credit for the flush completely, but a stop n go is better than a cap here if you think he is betting a draw.
Turn: Good.
River: I might lead out here (any thoughts?), but a call is fine as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 AM

I would have bet-called the flop and then bet folded a non-[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turn.

Brad

Edit - The way it went down, you certainly can't afford to calldown. You either have to check/fold the turn or the river if you don't make 2-pair or better. The dynamics of the hand probably dictate that you have to fold on 4th if you don't improve since there are 45 ways that he can hold a flush. You are almost a 35:1 underdog against a flush and about 20:1 against a set of 4's, so he will have to have K4/A4 or some kind of hand like Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] often in this spot to make calling correct (on 4th street).