Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Daily Hand Post: interesting AK hand

We started talking about this hand on IRC and the discussion about it led to cnfuzzd suggesting that I post it. For now, I'll leave it naked and see what people come up with and then add the thoughts that arose during the discussion. Those involved in the discussion should post comments here.

UTG+1 is 65.7/7.5/.79 after 66 hands.
MP2 is 14.3/6.2/3.1 after 3521 hands and notes say "rock."
Button is 54.6/16.5/1.6 after 1491 hands and seems aggressive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: I am UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, I call, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
I check, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Button folds.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>....
Old 06-30-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: interesting AK hand

1 - I cap preflop. With this many players you're giving up equity by not capping with AKo.

2 - When MP2 fails to bet the flop, he's got AK about 90% of the time; the rest of the time he's got AQ. A c/r is good because he's very likely to fold, and you want his share of the pot. You obviously have the odds to call the bet, due to the pot size, your overcards and b/d flush draw.

3 - When everyone but UTG+1 folds, a turn lead is mandatory.

4 - If you miss the river, check-call. This guy won't fold a better hand, and there aren't many A-high hands left for him to have to pay you off with. If you had played more hands with him (and his stats were the same), you could check-fold, due to his passiveness.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:33 PM

PF, likely to be 4 ways, I probably cap as a default here, although I have started to ramp back on that when I'm in the worst position, like you are in this hand.

Love the flop play. My only question would be what you would have done if MP2 was the one who bet. Still check-raise?

Knocking out MP2 and the button though to get heads up with the passive guy - who could easily be on a draw here - is nice.

I'd follow through with the turn bet as well, like you did. You might get him to lay down some sort of gutshot hand here.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:35 PM

OK...this looks like the scenario I had in a thread earlier.

PF, you're likely behind MP right now, but there's some padding from the 2 cold-callers; however I don't mind the call here PF, though I don't think a cap is all the bad either. I'm still not sure what the best play is PF there.

Flop I think is perfect. I don't think you can bet into the 3 bettor.

MP probably has overcards now that he checked and button could have just about anything. You get rid of a chop with AK and gain initiative in the hand.

With this line you lead any turn....I'm interested to see the rest of the hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Love the flop play. My only question would be what you would have done if MP2 was the one who bet. Still check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this could be a peel here even if we didnt' have the BDFD. I think a c/r on MP2 is not good.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm amazed that you were able to get this heads up by check raising the flop.

Your probably behind to middle pair and are going to get called down by LP UTG+1. Also, MP2 probably folded at least one of your outs to boot.

Play looks good though, clearly you fold to a raise. Do you lead a non-club river?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this could be a peel here even if we didnt' have the BDFD. I think a c/r on MP2 is not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious to see what Jason says, but I probably agree. I would likely check-call. The only advantage I can think of, is that you can solidly put him on a likely overpair if he 3-bets. I'm not sure whether it's worth paying the 2 extra SB's to find that out though.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:44 PM

this hand makes me yawn. i'm back!!!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to see what Jason says, but I probably agree. I would likely check-call. The only advantage I can think of, is that you can solidly put him on a likely overpair if he 3-bets. I'm not sure whether it's worth paying the 2 extra SB's to find that out though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote is an emphatic "No".
Old 06-30-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1 - I cap preflop. With this many players you're giving up equity by not capping with AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there was some nice discussion about the postflop play, this is what the discussion in IRC was centred around. I think that sometimes it's okay to pass up a preflop equity edge with AK, especially OOP against this 3-bettor, in order to try to exploit an edge postflop.