Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 02:20 AM

Default First hand at Party NL $100 table.. MoH?

So I take my seat at a four-handed 6max NL $100 table on PartyPoker, post the big blind, and look down at my hole cards...

Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Oh wait, but there are already $40 in chips in front of UTG. Yep, I've been MoH'ed.

No reads... first hand. I have $100 behind, he has $40.

Button folds, SB folds, action is on Hero. QQ. $40 to call the push.

A) Push
B) Fold

.. and give me a "Do you see why?"

-dB

EDIT: I did see my opponent's hole cards -- either by me calling, or by him showing. I'll post results after a few responses.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: First hand at Party NL $100 table.. MoH?

QQ aipf for 40 bets? sure, count me in
Old 03-25-2005, 03:16 AM

at 100nl on PP, 4 handed, with a decent BR, i call this. [theres no way he pushes here with KK or AA] he's probably tilting from a recent beat and has a lower pair, two broadways, or Ax...with all of the fish on PP who make this play. i call this pretty easily.

[edit]: push, you dont want someone to just call behind you and see a flop with an ace or king, but if you get raised behind preflop you basically have to call for the pot odds and either way you almost surely have the best hand. get it in preflop.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:20 AM

This is a pretty easy call at 40 BB stacks, 4-handed. I would call this every time. I think that this is much closer if he has a full 100 BB stack though....

Sly
Old 03-25-2005, 03:21 AM

I think you push...

Cant let someone trail and it is QQ.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM

Push and have a new pair of pants ready, just in case...
Old 03-25-2005, 10:57 AM

I might be confused, but aren't you heads up? Isn't this "call or fold"? Pushing doesn't isolate anyone, it's already done...

Call, there are SO many hands people will do this with. Let's assume he didn't sit down with $40, that other $60 is probably in someone else's stack and he's pissed about it.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:25 AM

Looks like it is HU, but I'd push to take position out of the equation. Get it all in now.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Results! well, he didn\'t have AA...

Well, you all are smarter than me!

All I could think about when I saw this bet was a thread I read yesterday about people open-pushing with aces to "see if it works"... and I really didn't want to be the dolt who calls with something other than AA.

Also -- drexah hit the nail on the head -- with a proper bankroll, I probably make the call. I wasn't "trying to get out of the kiddie pool", or "taking a shot"... I do play at this level, and I actually HAVE the BR for this game, but I just deposited two buy-ins on Empire because I felt like playing it last night. This isn't a long-term thing. (Needless to say, despite the fact that I folded QQ here, it was a pretty profitable hour or so...)

Anyway, my QQ hit the muck after about 20 seconds of agonizing, and my opponent promptly showed me his hole cards...

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Chalk one up for the fish, I guess.

Nice hand.

-dB

EDIT: To address all of the confusion -- yes, it's heads-up and he's already all-in. When I said "push", I could have just said "call".. but I like "push or fold" more than "call or fold". Same thing.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Results! well, he didn\'t have AA...

[ QUOTE ]
All I could think about when I saw this bet was a thread I read yesterday about people open-pushing with aces to "see if it works"... and I really didn't want to be the dolt who calls with something other than AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting situation. I understand the desire not to be caught on the wrong end of someone else's MoH and see AA or KK against your queens, but I think the thing to remember is that for every MoH-happy 2+2er (or similar) at the tables, there are a lot of plain old dolts who will push with junk because it makes them feel like a big man. So statistically he probably doesn't have the goods.