The Empire Strikes Back (1) 166 92.22%
Tron (8) 14 7.78%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Luck and deadly viruses.

I will catch it; I have a really [censored] up immune system. I will not die
Old 10-20-2005, 11:44 AM

I was just wondering how many people feel that they will beat the odds, far fewer than i thought. I'm pretty sure Id get it but shrug it off, since I'm lucky like that.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 PM

I dont know i think i may have this virus already i mean i have the symptoms of it fever cough, sore throat, muscle aches. I think ill end up dead tom.

Good Bye OOT.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM

We're all over 56% to catch it and die
Old 10-20-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flue

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 PM

I have a very strong immune system (I've been sick once in the past six years) so I think I would be more likely than the average person to not catch it.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:24 PM

What are you, drunk? Maybe you should go to that writing class instead of posting in OOT. For what it's worth, I think I'd die from the virus, since I'm not a Jew, and therefore not one of God's chosen people.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you, drunk? Maybe you should go to that writing class instead of posting in OOT. For what it's worth, I think I'd die from the virus, since I'm not a Jew, and therefore not one of God's chosen people.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we are believing in stuff like god then i think that 1/2 of 2+2 would die from it since they dont believe in him.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting indeed.

Myself, I think I've taken permanent damage from past flus. I've had a few where I was coughing up blood. So I think I would be very likely to be in deep trouble and maybe kick the bucket if a tremendously virulent strain became extremely widespread.

On both the negative and the positive side, I've been living with and working with a great percentage of people who have lots of kids. Those kids go to school and bring home viruses to their parents, who pass them around work. Someone is ALWAYS sick at work; there are usually at least two different bugs going around. So I've been exposed to a ton of viruses over many years. I'm thinking my immune system might have more previous exposure to a lot of flu strains than most people's, and that could stand my immune system in good stead.

On the negative side, being exposed to those same people is just more likely to get me exposed the next time, and the building where I live is full of kids, so even if I holed up indoors, I'm sure I'd still get exposure somehow. And just going to the supermarket would effectively expose me to basically the whole planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The H5N1 virus has never been seen before in the human body so having past flu strains will not matter. As far as the people who said they have been good immune systems, it does not seem to matter with pandemic strains such as this one. Whereas in normal flu cases, most deaths occur in the elderly or infant population, a pandemic strain such as H5N1 kills off seemingly healthy young adults just the same as an elderly or infant patient.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:38 PM

A number of us could escape into the deepest mine shafts until the virus dies down. With a 10:1 women to men ratio we could repopulate the Earth. Regrettably, we would have to do away with monogamous sexual relationships. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.