Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: not a dead beat

maybe it is a leak in my game, during the semi-bubble time (5 or 6 handed, with ~10BB), i sometimes fold hands worse than A9, small pair) from UTG/UTG+1.
[ QUOTE ]
You should have a much wider range there than AQ+/88+, but regardless, his call was poor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-05-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i sometimes fold hands worse than A9, small pair) from UTG/UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks and position are the main reason I said that range was too tight. It helps that the biggest stack (behind you) is in the BB, as if he was any shorter, he may have pot odds to call. It's rare you'll get a call from anyone if you push there given the situation, and if you do, it'll usually be from the SB - in which case you'll be getting about 1.5:1 on your money, and you'll still have a healthy stack if you lose. Just this one blind steal here puts you in real good shape to completely start running over the table as everyone else tries to hang on.

I'm pushing with a ton of hands in this exact spot (at least top third).
Old 05-05-2005, 05:24 PM

I second his thought.

ZeeJustin posted this in his 'A Not So Super Monday' report from 4/26. Is AQo UTG that much stronger than AJo UTG+2 to make it an autopush?

"I had 51k chips utg+2 when I found AJo. Blinds were 4k/8k, but I decided to fold this hand preflop and wait for a better oppurtunity. I am a big advocator of folding weak aces with short but not desperate stacks in EP in situations where a lot of people will feel forced to push them. Even though the blinds are right around the corner, there are better situations."
Old 05-05-2005, 01:19 PM

Calling with AJo was not a good move here. You should almost never be calling raises in his position. It's much better to just fold and then steal the blinds from someone else.