Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Default WSOP Main Event - Me VS Mel Judah

Well I figured I would post one more hand that confused me now looking back. I should state though that just because I am posting these hands they are not necesarily hands I lost with so dont just post "why didnt u fold, I would of." If however it is your honest opinion than yeah do that.

Side Note: I cant remember the actual bet amounts but this early in a deep tourney so stack sizes arre not that relevent.

Alright first level of tournament, I had just lost a huge pot w QQ vs AA no overs pot. That stung but I didnt bust out on it and still had a little over 7000 so I was proud in that rergard. At any rate about an orbit later Mel Judah limps from early position. It is folded around to me on the small blind. I have KJ so I raise.

Why raise u say?
Well a few reasons,
1) From what I knew of Mel Judah was that he was easily pushed off hands early in tourneys. Was this true, I did not know but at the first level I should find out.

2) This is the big one, players are playing tight and they know that. Raises are being respected hugely.

3)He limped from Early position and was screaming a small to medium pair. WHen money is that deep thats what u do limp w these hands. So by raising even if he calls I should be able to take the pot.

It is folded around and Mel calls.

Flop K74 all spades.
(my J is a spade)
I check he checks

Well why did I check. To CR of course. If he bets and I raise I now know where I am at for the rest of the hand.

Turn is a J
I now have 2pair so I check again.
WHy check again and risk giving a free card?
Because he will call if I bet making a larger that I dont want to be unless it actually gives some info on the opponents hand. 2 If he has a high spade and I check twice the majority of the time he will bet.
3 If he has a flush I can find out on the turn.

He bets the turn and I CR twice his bet. He thinks for a wile and calls. At this point I thought I had the best hand and was up against a possible flush draw or KQ maybe with a possible Qs.

Rive was a blank 9.

I bet out about half the pot

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: WSOP Main Event - Me VS Mel Judah

how the fcuk can you checkraise him when hes in EP and your in the CO
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how the fcuk can you checkraise him when hes in EP and your in the CO

[/ QUOTE ]

He must have been in the blinds rather than the CO.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:36 AM

I think I would have flat raised on the turn rather than checkraise. I think this would better define the type of hand that he had, because a check raise lets gives him better odds now that he has A) thrown more chips in the pot and B) seen that if he is chasing he can possibly get a lot of chips from you. I do not think you played it poorly at all though.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Sorry - Yes I was in the SB
Old 08-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Why raise Mel Judah with a marginal hand early is the tournament? There are so many fish in that tournament. Why tangle with the one name player at your table? It seems from your post like you want to show how clever you are, and outplaying Mel Judah would be an ego boost.

Plus an early position limper could have a good hand. He could have practically any playable hand. He could be trapping with AA or KK. He could have TT or AQ and be seeing what develops. He could also have a pp, suited connector/gapper, Axs, etc.

When you make top pair with a 3-flush, I think you need to bet it, because it is unlikely Judah has a flush, but there is a good chance he has a flush draw. I am not too crazy about checkraising. He could 3-bet on a semibluff with a draw or a pure bluff at the dangerous board, and you probably would have to fold. Plus you put a lot of money in if he does have a flush.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:51 AM

I like your post betgo. That is pretty much the conclusion I have come to. With that said however, Hell yeah, I was trying to make a move on Mel Judah for the sake of making a move on Mel Judah. I should of posted that as the #4 reason I raised.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 AM

FPS

KJo vs. an EP limper OOP for a raise? No thanks, give me a flop.

With deep stacks, this is exactly the type of hand that gets you in trouble vs. an EP limper. What do you think he's limping with, KT? How are you going to win a big pot, flop a straight?

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM

k well since he is out of position, the EP limper is going to call his raise everytime. Now hes playing a big pot out of position with garbage against a pro.

I think hes going to check behind every time on the flop unless hes got you beat, then you lose a shtload of chips when you c/r. So make a continuation bet.

Cant really say my opinion on the rest since already it is so much different.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 PM

Things I don't like about the hand.
1) You are isolating yourself against a very good player, out of position with a crappy hand. I'd be more inclined to raise here with KJo against a crappy internet qualifier, Mel Judah is not a donkey.

2) You did not CB the flop. I think if you want to be able to bet out when you miss on flops, you need to bet out here. Not to mention, you to define your hand better by betting.

3) I can accept the flop check, its good to mix it up now and then, but why check the turn? Very often this will look like a bluff with an AQ or lower pocket pair, betting at Judah because he hasn't shown strength yet. Then you said this:
[ QUOTE ]
WHy check again and risk giving a free card?
Because he will call if I bet making a larger that I dont want to be unless it actually gives some info on the opponents hand. 2 If he has a high spade and I check twice the majority of the time he will bet.
3 If he has a flush I can find out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand the first part of that sentence. Other than that, why do you think he would take a free card on the flop with a big spade, but bet the turn? Plus, you have already said you think he has a small pair, so I have no clue where you got the big spade idea from.

Then you said this [ QUOTE ]
He bets the turn and I CR twice his bet. He thinks for a wile and calls. At this point I thought I had the best hand and was up against a possible flush draw or KQ maybe with a possible Qs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are giving him odds to chase with a worse hand? If you were check raising to get more value out of his lone spade draw, then you should actually raise more so that he is paying the wrong price to draw. Also, I don't thing KxQs is very likely given the way it played out, I dont see him checking that behind on the flop, but I could be wrong.

Your hand is strong on the flop, and very strong on the turn, I think you need to be getting more money in there.