Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Variations on a Theme -- The Slowplay (#2)

For the introduction to this series see:

Variation #1

The following hand I would group in the typical category in that this comes up fairly frequently. Opponent is loose-passive but not a total calling station.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero . . .

What's my play. Bet or give a free card?

Pros of free card:

People tend to put you on AK when you raise in EP so opponent, who may be very far behind, may make an easy fold. A free card may get you some action here.

Cons: Of course a free card can be dangerous. I have a general rule of not giving a free card on two-flush boards. But here, opponent will have odds to call for 1 SB anyway if he has flush draw. If he has a single bet a free card may now let him pick up a flush draw, BUT he won't be getting proper odds to call on the turn if that is his only draw. Of course, the 56 on the board make other assorted straight draws possible.

So, how do you play this? My action to come later.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Variations on a Theme -- The Slowplay (#2)

I bet. This is not a free-card friendly board.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:30 PM

I bet as well yes the odds for the flush draw is there but saying he is on that specifically your giving him infinite odds to draw which is always bad. Hes gonna chase it charge him atleast.
Second when i see someone from utg raise then check the flop i get very suspicious and concerned then if he leads out with a bet. Maybe i'm the only one that thinks that way but a ep raise then flopped check thru spells great hand out to me
a lot of below average players assume ak because when an a or k doesnt flop they like to encourage themselves that hero has that because it is one hand they might have beat. Below average players like to think of hands they beat and give them to hero and not consider hands they are behind to
Old 07-03-2005, 04:33 PM

I bet.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Just to add another thing, even tho slowplaying is a nice tool at times the higher the limit you go the less effective it becomes. If you have SSHE i would read the section about slowplaying.
When considering to slowplay or not you have to think what cards that can come on the next street that gives villain a good second best hand. Usually with many ak when you fop tptk there is not to many cards you can give your opponents for free that gives them a good second best hand.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Bet this one too. For reasons already stated - no free cards, TPTK isn't invulnerable, value. Also, in this situation, since you raised preflop and it's now headsup with you in position - what hands wouldn't you bet here and why?
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually with many ak when you fop tptk there is not to many cards you can give your opponents for free that gives them a good second best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a good point. First, the check looks suspicious, especially heads-up. So, if my opponent has say JT or J9, for example, and catches a Jack on the turn, am I really going to get action with the King out there. Maybe yes but quite possibly no.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I bet b/c a check is so suspicious

Edit- another reason is b/c the other player is going to play with you or he isn't, u're missing value if he is.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet b/c a check is so suspicious

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Not because you need to "charge" the flush draws.

someone in the HUSH forum (kurosh maybe) posted a couple hands like this where he was in your opponent's shoes and the player in your shoes checked behind. He c/folded TPBK in one case because the c/behind seemed like such an obvious monster. Most players don't make folds like that, of course, but the point is valid nonetheless.

It would be bad not to give your oppo a chance to c/r here when he has a K with a worse kicker.

He's loose. Yeah, not a total cs, but what's the point of a loose player if you don't bet into him with your good hands.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Not because you need to "charge" the flush draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I agree with the "checking is suspicious rationale". However, I would like to point out that while you have no reason to put your opponent on a flush draw here, if he happens to have one then by betting you are properly charging" him, which is, of course, a good thing.