Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Default I decided to throw some chips away

But I'd like to hear your opinion anyway.

It is obvious from play that I gave little respect for CO's 3bet and I wasn't worried about BB's holdings - probably a gutshot. Both players have VP$IP > 50 and low aggression.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP folds, CO calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

River: (12.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

River play is probably check/call, because the other play is bet/fold and folding my hand with 15-1 is not an option.

-pix
Old 06-04-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: I decided to throw some chips away

I would just call the flop. Why would you raise here? since they have low aggression he most certainly has a better hand than yours since his threebet is pretty aggressive...
And even if you can move CO off a big ace postflop by raising this flop and betting the turn, you still have two more opponents who probably hit this flop in some way. And since a VPIP of 50+ is indicative of a calling station he won´t fold a better hand than yours on the flop and will call with a gutshot also... Just call the flop instead and try to outdraw them instead...

And if you called the flop I would check-fold the turn...

And what makes you think that Checking the river is the right play here? bet and if he is passive fold to a raise and think nothing of it... you will get called by any AK and JJ on the river here to make this a clear valuebet...
Old 06-04-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just call the flop. Why would you raise here? since they have low aggression he most certainly has a better hand than yours since his threebet is pretty aggressive...
And even if you can move CO off a big ace postflop by raising this flop and betting the turn, you still have two more opponents who probably hit this flop in some way. And since a VPIP of 50+ is indicative of a calling station he won´t fold a better hand than yours on the flop and will call with a gutshot also... Just call the flop instead and try to outdraw them instead...

And if you called the flop I would check-fold the turn...

And what makes you think that Checking the river is the right play here? bet and if he is passive fold to a raise and think nothing of it... you will get called by any AK and JJ on the river here to make this a clear valuebet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the standard line.

The motive for my play was that I thought CO's 3-bet wasn't really legit. He already had a limper before him, so if he had AA, he already had a customer. A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something like that is what I usually see in such cases.

Thus I don't really want to fold the river. I'd fold to a turn raise, it would be very natural and profitable for AA in that spot, but there was no raise. I just got saved if CO really had rags and paired an 8 or ten.

-pix
Old 06-04-2005, 12:37 PM

Your opponent's backraise does not improve your bad position or give this weak hand special powers.

Checkcall the flop. Checkfold the turn unimproved.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:17 PM

its obviously dodgy to try and steal from a pre-flop 3 bettor in a 3 way pot - if you were going to try that then perhaps you should cap pre-flop

i think betting the river is auto and i would call the raise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk