Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Do you fear me?

I decided to slow play this one. Let me know what you think about the 5th street check raise, and the river check. I kind of feared one of my opponents already having something big but playing like a pansy.

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River

Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Old 05-14-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Do you fear me?

I like your play here. If you raise 3rd you are basically announcing that you have rolled trips. On 4th, you have to kick people out because there's too many people drawing against you, and you can still represent a straight draw or two pair. I'd bet the river though because you're going to get called by the same hands that are behind a straight. If someone has a straight or flush, they would have likely bet into you hoping to 3bet your raise. If you get check raised then so be it. You'd bet AA55 here so i don't see why you'd check trips.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:35 PM

I really like the way you played it, but why not bet the river. I think this is def. a +ev situation and you are second to last to act. You are losing some value from a hands you have beat that will have to call since the pot is so big.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like the way you played it, but why not bet the river. I think this is def. a +ev situation and you are second to last to act. You are losing some value from a hands you have beat that will have to call since the pot is so big.

[/ QUOTE ]Isn't the addage that a good poker player makes 1-2 BBs per hour? Lets say it's 3-6 in the online context. Hero just lost out on an hours worth of beer money [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 01:31 AM

I like your line because it really looks like you have something like 34 in the whole because of the late raise on 4th and the check on 5th when some of your outs go bye bye. I think I might have bet seventh though. Even if you think you may be beat, you are definitely called down by some people, prolly enough to make this +EV. Although I am chicken, so I might have checked too.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:48 AM

I fear you only because you're capable of limp reraising like a madman with three flushes on third. As for the hand, I like it all except for the wussy river check. A river bet here is defintely +EV in the long haul. I especially like your check-raise on fifth that a lot of players wouldnt have made. Well played.

Mike Emery
Old 05-15-2005, 10:17 AM

I think you made a mistake on 5th street I would have bet, the high hand would have raised and I would have reraised. this puts more money in the pot and is in line with the primary objective of getting the low hands out so you can play heads up high hand v high hand. You would then stand a good chance of scooping and also drawing to a low (About 25% of the time).
Old 05-15-2005, 10:30 AM

Its not hi-lo.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 AM

I re-raise on 3rd with small rolled, myself. I don't really want to give a free ride to higher pairs -- let'em pay to chase me.

River is close -- you've shown enough aggression that hands that beat you may give you a free showdown. It's closer than the other posters think, I believe.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:17 PM

I would probably bet out on fifth myself, but the check-raise is good. Definitely bet the river, though.