Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: starting out on the long road, need some help...

What's your deal? Are you a college student planning to play full time for like...a summer? Or are you just going to live with your parents indefinitely or? In general, you are playing WAY short if you have no money to add to that roll. Many players go through 300 bet losing streaks...and these are very good players. Not sure how good you are. Best of luck though.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2004, 08:31 PM

I would say they feel ok. I'll be paying my way, and it seems a shame to waste a good bunk just so I can say I'm independent.

I realise the disadvantages of the career. However, I'm not self-destructive, and I have got self-control. I'm not going to flush my winnings down the toilet on drugs. I'm going to undertake this thing with a professional attitude, so as to MAXIMISE my chances of not going bust.

There's no need to patronise me buddy. I know what I'm getting into, and I'm at ease with it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to undertake this thing with a professional attitude, so as to MAXIMISE my chances of not going bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be an a**hole, but usually these types of things are minimiZed.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:54 PM

300 BB is the recommended amount for a SEPERATE poker-roll that is not tied into ANY other expenses you may owe.

For a full-time pro I recommend 400-500BB's PLUS 2-3 months of expenses in reserve.

So, if you're monthly expenses are approximately $1k/mth (maybe less than this since you're living at parents' place) and you are multi-tabling 3/6 then I recommend:

$2400 + $2000 = $4400

This is 400BB + 2 mths.

More conservatively, I would round-up the expenses part....and round-up the bank-roll to 500BB.

So...for me if my monthly-nut is around $2k then I'm looking at:
$3000 + $4000 = $7000

This way you aren't completely freaked-out and stressed when you go on a 100-150BB down-swing (which WILL happen at some point).

With only 300BB....AND having to pay expenses you are playing EXTREMELY short.
If you have a 100BB down-swing ($600) at about the same time you have $500 worth of expenses for whatever reason then you are suddenly down to your last $700 and are looking at the possibility of busting-out in the very near future.

If you are kind of stuck doing the poker-thing because you are already committed to it then you should seriously consider building your roll at 2/4 or 1/2. You would be much better off 8-tabling (or 10-tabling) 1/2 right now IF you can handle that many tables.

At 3/6 with only 300BB you cannot afford to pay for ANYTHING as it is too risky for your roll.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:11 PM

Good luck Postiga, keep learning and improving your game, and I hope to see you at the 15/30 tables soon!

You live at home, and have minimal expenses, 300 BB is plenty. Even if you go bust, it's not like you'll be on the street or something.

Keep us updated.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to be an a**hole, but usually these types of things are minimiZed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be an a**hole, but he clearly wanted to maximise the chance of NOT going bust.

Justin A
Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 PM

yeah, i'm gonna chime in and say don't start at 3-6 as well. I'm with microbob here, in that you should start with 8-tabling a smaller game. Maybe 4 of 1-2 and 4 of 2-4, and just get a dual monitor set up if you don't have one. also, get PT if you don't have it... you can still make pretty good money on those games if you're playing tons of hands, then once you build up a good roll you'll be able to move up.

Its very important not to think 300 BB is okay if you're playing fulltime, and taking money out. Its a recipe for disater, as you'll move up levels when you have enough for it, and when you hit a bad streak you'll be screwed.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not to be an a**hole, but he clearly wanted to maximise the chance of NOT going bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

and to do that he should have well over 300bb roll
Old 11-23-2004, 11:28 PM

Agreed, I was just making a sarcastic remark to sarcastic post that had misread a previous post.

Justin A
Old 11-24-2004, 12:42 AM

I wouldn't worry about the negative responses concerning your roll size. Yeah, its too small if you're actually talking about supporting yourself playing poker. But it doesn't sound like that's what you are talking about--it merely soundls like you are talking about playing full time.

With your setup, sounds like you could probably get your expenses down pretty close to nothing. You might want to think about getting a part tine job to cover whatever expenses you do have. Put in 4 hours a day, 5 times a week at a job and you can still easily put in 35-40 hours or more playing poker. Its important with the small roll not to have to take any money out till you've built it up.

What the size of the bankroll does indicate to me, however, is that you may very well not enough experience to make us confident in your ability to handle the rigors of being a full time player. It's not easy. And if your game has a lot of developing to do, playing full time can put a lot of stress on your development.

That said, single, living at home, minimal expenses, hey nothing wrong with taking a shot at it, its not like you have a lot to lose if it doesn't work out, or that you can't move on to something else.

One final word: Discipline...make sure you have it.

--Zetack