Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM

Default J7s in the blinds 15-30

Online 15-30 game.
UTG limps, folded to the sb who limps. Both players are complete unknowns. You check J7s.
The flop is 667, none of your suit. The sb bets out. What is your plan for the rest of this hand?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:27 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: J7s in the blinds 15-30

raise.

sb reraises: call the flop. call any bets, bet any street if checked to, and fold if checkraised.

sb calls: bet every street and fold if checkraised.

utg won't be a factor in this hand very often.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise.

sb reraises: call the flop. call any bets, bet any street if checked to, and fold if checkraised.

sb calls: bet every street and fold if checkraised.

utg won't be a factor in this hand very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my standard plan on this hand (or close to it). There have been a few hands lately that have made me wonder if it is worth it to get involved in such a small pot when I could be drawing to 2 outs. Am I just gunshy because of a bad September?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 AM

It matters whether the 7 on board is suited to one of the 6's since that offers a greater chance sb is semi-bluffing.
Either way I raise the flop since you need to knock UTG off of overcards if your hand is best. If sb just calls, and checks the turn another bet may knock him off a stronger hand (i.e. A7).
Old 10-07-2004, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It matters whether the 7 on board is suited to one of the 6's since that offers a greater chance sb is semi-bluffing.
Either way I raise the flop since you need to knock UTG off of overcards if your hand is best. If sb just calls, and checks the turn another bet may knock him off a stronger hand (i.e. A7).

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is not suited, and the sb is not folding a better hand. Does this change your play?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:39 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i adjust HOW i play small or big pots, but i don't consider opting out of small pots if i think i have a good chance of being/staying ahead. i think you're good a lot of the time here and facing a bet from a naked ace, random overcards, a worse 7, or 55-22 often enough to show a long term profit. i know you know that stuff, i'm posting more to observe that maybe the whole "should i even bother in a pot this small?" mentality reeks, at least for me, of gunshyness.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:55 AM

Yes.
If there is no chance sb will lay down 7, good kicker you have 2 choices (IMO):
A. Fold. It's a small pot anyway, and the implied odds are nothing special.

B. Raise to kick UTG. If sb 3 bets fold. If sb calls, bet if checked to on the turn. Fold if check raised on turn (unless the 7 falls of course). If sb goes into call-down mode take the free showdown on the river. your hand is not strong enuff to value bet unless it improves.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:07 PM

your hand is not strong enuff to value bet unless it improves.

lol
Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Did that go w/o saying? sorry

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Did that go w/o saying? sorry

A river value bet is pretty damn clear in this situation. If your opponent had you beat, he would have shown some aggression somewhere, not gone into "call down mode" The only hand he could hold that might play this way would be Q7. A7 and K7 find a raise somewhere as does a 6 or any overpair. You will be called by any 7 any pocket pair and often times A-high. The strongest hand that I think my opponent is likely to fold here is somewhere around K-high. Any better hands than that will call you more often than not.