Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 PM

Default HUH?? NL 200

I lurk around these boards frequently...first time posting a hand though.

Pokerrom $1/$2 NL 200

Hero is in UTG + 2 (10,10)

Hero (~$180) raises to $6
MP (~$180) calls $6
LP (~$120) calls $6

No real reads on players as I just sat down a few orbits ago.

Flop comes 5,6,7 - 2 diamonds

Pot (~$20)

Hero bets $20
MP folds
LP thinks or a minute and calls.

Turn: K of diamonds

Pot (~$60)

Hero thinks and checks
LP bets $8 (wtf??)
Hero calls

River: 3 of clubs

Pot (~$76)

Hero checks
LP bets $8
Hero folds

I feel I played this pretty weak/tight from the turn on...do I raise the turn to see if he really made his flush? I folded on the river because I couldn't think of one hand I was ahead of at this point. Please critique.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: HUH?? NL 200

If you can justify calling the turn bet then you can't possibly justify the river fold. Also you are getting good odds even if theres only a very slight chance he has a lwoer PP or is bluffing. Not having any reads really messes this hand up, I would probably call down just becuase it's a big pot and the villain is betting so little
Old 11-29-2005, 05:38 PM

oi vey - how can you fold this river??
Old 11-29-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot (~$76)

Hero checks
LP bets $8
Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude....If you ever get to the river with betting action on previous streets and the guy bets 1/10th of the pot at you, always call at the least. Always. You need to win this pot less than 10% of the time to justify the call for $8. Do you see why?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:47 PM

either fold turn or call river...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:50 PM

River fold was bad given the pot odds...no question about it. I was just so sure I was beat it seemed like giving away money. I just can't beleive anyone would make an $8 bluff into a $76 pot.

I guess my bigger question is what does the turn bet mean? I play live much more than online, and the game I play in you never see bets like this.

Do players at NL 200 really try and bluff with such a small bet, or is this almost always a sign of a made hand?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:50 PM

I think with a hand like TT you have to decide if you are going to play it passively for set value, or if you are going to attack with it. If you are going to play for set value, call pf. If you are going to play it aggressively, you need to raise more preflop to drive out players. It sucks playing TT oop with multiple people behind you.

I think your pot bet on the flop is fine. I probably would have bet less though, around 3/4 the pot. There are 2 reasons I bet 3/4 the pot instead of full pot.

1) If someone has the flush, they probably aren't betting the full pot here. They want to keep some customers so they more likely to bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot. I will do likewise to better camoflauge (sp?) my hand. Some people will interpret your full pot bet as a "I'm afraid of the flush" bet and, even if they don't have a flush, will call and try to push you out if a flush card or overcard hits.

2) 3/4 pot gives someone incorrect odds to call on the diamond draw, but it also keeps the pot smaller, giving you more options on the turn.

The Kd on the turn is a bad card for you being oop and given the flop action. Checking and folding to a big bet is ok here. I mean, jeez, someone called your pot bet on the flop cold and a terrible card hits? What are you going to do, bet half the pot and fold to a big raise? Better to check/fold.

But your opponent bets $8 into a $60 pot. That is a weak player's move. He probably has a little something, perhaps a K, without a flush. Maybe he has a pair smaller than T. But even a weak player can sense you are afraid. But it looks like he is afraid too. You can't fold to an $8 in a $60 pot. You can checkraise or call. I'll make the call.

Given that you called and the pot is now $76, I cannot see how you can possibly fold to an $8 bet on the river. That is horrible.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the response. There wasn't a made flush on the flop, only 2 diamonds.

The K on the turn concerned me more as a flush card, not so much as an overcad. Does he call a pot sized bet on the flop with overs (i.e. AK) on a draw heavy board?

I agree that I have to call the river due the size of the bet and the fact I called the turn. By my bigger question is about the bet size. From people who have more experience with $1/$2 online...what does this bet typically mean?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From people who have more experience with $1/$2 online...what does this bet typically mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means you're playing against someone who is clueless.