Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Legalities of starting a Holdem tournament at a Pennsylvania Bar.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to open a poker room in Ohio and charge nothing for entrance, sell nothing in the room, and take no rake could you ask for a donation?

[/ QUOTE ]No and in fact even the act of tipping the dealer/game host technically turns a legal game into an illegal one from what I have been told by a local organization that deals in such things.

I still tip when i cash at my weekly game.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've also thought about this, I live in eastern PA, what if a bar, instead of holding games, was just 'poker friendly'.

I would be a lot more inclined to go to a bar if you could just play cards, not sanctioned by the bar. ALthough, I guess this wouldn't work, mainly because, who makes the finally rulings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a game at the local country club the other day. My boss was having a picnic and we told him to ask and see if we could play cards. They were happy to have us and cleared off a nice table for us. It worked out especially nice because our boss picked up the bar tab because he is the only member.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've also thought about this, I live in eastern PA, what if a bar, instead of holding games, was just 'poker friendly'.

I would be a lot more inclined to go to a bar if you could just play cards, not sanctioned by the bar. ALthough, I guess this wouldn't work, mainly because, who makes the finally rulings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a game at the local country club the other day. My boss was having a picnic and we told him to ask and see if we could play cards. They were happy to have us and cleared off a nice table for us. It worked out especially nice because our boss picked up the bar tab because he is the only member.

[/ QUOTE ]

which club? (you can PM me if you aren't comfortable talking about it) I deal from time to time at the local country club here, can't afford to play their games yet though.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which club? (you can PM me if you aren't comfortable talking about it) I deal from time to time at the local country club here, can't afford to play their games yet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is south of Pittsburgh, Valleybrook Country Club.

I don't think they have regular games.

Do you deal around Pittsburgh?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 PM

I believe that the Lancaster bar, is using the same organization as the local bars here in York, PA. Link is provided below. A bar across the street from where I work was hosting this WTP (World Tavern Poker) and I happened to be there drinking the night they started this. There was about 40 - 50 players. I sat in for the hell of it, not knowing what the prize structure was at the time. When I won the 1st (and last) tournament I played in I was awarded a bottle opener.
From your bosses stand point however, he would probably love this. The bar across the street is at capacity on Monday nights when they hold the 2 nightly tournaments.
DocHolidays Bar in New Cumberland (Harrisburg) is running weekly tournaments with prize of around $200 cash. If I had a highly prized, and very valuable liquor license at stack, I would stick with the WTP idea of token gifts, ie chip set, poker table topper, something like that in lieu of cash ( but better than a damn bottle opener [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). Cash is a bad idea, IMHO.

http://www.worldtavernpoker.com/
Old 08-02-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to hire dealers? Is the bartender going to also be the brush and the floor?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, we will pass the deal. the owner does not want to participate in any of the prize pool. he just wants the players to purchase beer and food.