Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 02:29 AM

Default Limit Hold\'em Tournament Books???

Does anyone know of any books on this subject???

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Limit Hold\'em Tournament Books???

the only vaguely close thing is Sklansky's advanced player tourny book, but I believe that's NL. Search amazon, I may be missing a few
Old 11-16-2004, 08:40 AM

Hiya's,

While I was in LV I visited the " Gamblers Book Store " , and they recommended this book to me. Haven't read it all the way through yet, but here it is ...

" The Secret to Winning Big in Tournament Poker " by Ken Buntjer . Might want to check out the reviews on it.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:07 AM

There is material in various books. Sklansky's tounrmanet book discusses limit hoildem among others. McEvoy's tournament book has a chapter on limit holdem. Helmuth's "Play Pker like the Pros" has a chapter on it. Cloutier and McEvoy's "Tournament Poker Practice Hands" is about half discussing how to play limit holdem hands and half no limit.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:26 PM

Here's my review of it.
MM

The Secret to Winning Big In Tournament Poker (1) by Ken Buntjer. This author managed to win three tournaments in a row several years ago at the Gold Coast. There’s no question that this was quite a feat, and he has done well in many other tournaments. However, his book contains virtually no information as to what a successful tournament strategy might be. The text doesn’t begin until page 19, and the last 30 pages are appendixes which include the rules of Texas hold ’em and the rules of some of the more popular tournaments such as the Gold Coast Open (now the Orleans Open). In between, there are numerous pages that also contain no text, and Buntjer’s book only addresses limit hold ’em.

The book starts by recommending extremely tight play. But it doesn’t seem to say much as to how you are suppose to play after that. It also spends several pages talking about different animals who represent the psychological make-up of different poker players. There are lions, lambs, and alligators among others. Apparently you should strive to be an alligator since that is what the best tournament players are. But exactly how you become an alligator or exactly how they play is never spelt out.

The book also has many omissions. Rebuys are never discussed, and the short section on deal making says to make the best deal you can. However, the author does not give any advice as to what the best deal should be or how you can go about making it. This book is not recommended.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:33 PM

Thank you Mr. Malmuth(I am from Mississippi, EVERYONE is Mr. or Ms.)

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2004, 08:49 AM

Hiya's,

" Thank you Mr. Malmuth(I am from Mississippi, EVERYONE is Mr. or Ms.) "

I'm from Maryland but only those whose Parents, ( like mine ), taught their children manners and civility actually practice it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No matter how they are instilled, they be good traits to exhibit. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards
Billy Zee