Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Blah...

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Running bad. Just a quick checkup. I definitely misplayed this hand. Turn raiser is 80/15/1. Button is very loose agg preflop.

Krishan
Old 11-30-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Blah...

i will never understand these donkbets
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM

I would checkraise the flop here. Betting makes it correct for anyone with a gutshot or 2nd/3rd pair to call. I think that you can throw your hand away on the turn.

Lost Wages
Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Why did you decide not to check raise the flop?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i will never understand these donkbets

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do them often. I think I have very good equity against the pfr. Relative position is neutral. I'd rather 1-3 bets go in than 0-2.

Check raising the flop is definitely standard and against more opponents I would do it. This guys opening range made me choose a different line.

Krishan
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Sometimes I will c/r flop if I feel like the BB will put in a continuation bet. Might get UTG to fold there. If BB doesn't three bet you will probably get checked to on the turn. If so, you can bet out on the turn and either pick it up there or fold at least one of them out.

I always feel like I should be trying to get players to fold with TP decent kicker even thought the board is not too scary on the flop here. Is that the best strategy?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather 1-3 bets go in than 0-2

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a problem with the donkbet if you don't think PFR will fire a continuation bet. You can only "protect" against one dude and he might have a hand not worth protecting against anyway. I think you mean you'd rather go 1-2 bets than 0-3 though because you shouldn't be bet/3betting the flop. I checkraise this most of the time but again I don't have a big problem if you think the guy is passive. I expect at least 2 cats to call this flop so having it get checked through would suck.

On the turn you have 6 outs against K4 and 9 outs against k3. You have 3 outs against K9 and 3 outs against a better King. However he could have a set. it's also possible he has a weaker king against which your kicker plays. I would call the turn. I'm not really sure what button is calling the river with but I don't like it. I think you can probably fold the river. I think there's a decent chance button was waiting for the turn to raise AK/KQ but got scared when UTG raised. That or he sucks and can't fold TT-QQ or A9.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM

if you think the preflop raiser is checking this flop alot then i definitely agree with the donkbet. i just really dont find opponents who check these boards though.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you think the preflop raiser is checking this flop alot then i definitely agree with the donkbet. i just really dont find opponents who check these boards though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy would check this board maybe 30%. My hand is pretty resilient though, check raising might still be the best option.

Krishan
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM

I'll frequently check a flop like this (small pot, rainbow flop, few draws, few overcards to worry about). If the bet comes from my right, I'll call and plan on check/raising the turn to get the flop bets in, then blow away the board on the turn. If the bet comes from my left, I plan on check/raising the flop since I can't blow anyone away now, I figure to have the best hand, and if I check/raise the flop and lead the turn I might get folds I wouldn't have gotten if I bet out the flop and turn since some folks will give the flop check/raise more credit than top pair.

If the flop checks through, oh well, it was a small pot anyway, so failing to protect my hand isn't a huge mistake.

The passive player raising on the turn is tough, but unless you're putting him on trips I think you have to call just due to the odds of making your own 2-pair, yes? Then on the river I personally have a tough time ever folding top pair for 1 bet in a decent sized pot (which it is by that point).